new quartz plaster

mfd

Apr 5, 2012
We live in Arizona, and have just completely remodeled our pool and spa. We chose quartz plaster. They plastered the whole pool and spa and then imediately started to fill. Once it was full, they added acid, and we brushed 3-4 times a day for about 10 days. It all looks great, and the plaster is smooth, with the quartz looking great. However, the spa is rough. You can feel the quartz coming through it and it feels completely different than the pool. I think they put too much acid in the spa. Now the pool company says they will come out and sand it??? Does this sound right? Just wondering, as we have put a lot of money into this, and we really want to have it done right. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, it does sound like the added too much acid in the spa. Mistakes like that do happen. The good thing here is that they are taking responsibility for fixing it.

Sanding, really grinding, can work well as long as the person doing the work is experienced. It is a fair bit of work, and I would worry they might take shortcuts, so check the results carefully before accepting it as complete.

Thanks so much for your response - I just wanted to be sure that they should sand or grind it, or if it would be better to leave it! Also our chemicals are way off, alkalinity low, chlorine really low, no cyanuric acid and ph high. Is this normal for a new pool? It's been more than two weeks since they plastered the pool. We paid for startup chemicals, so just want to make sure that they are really putting them in! Thanks.

I would not have much faith in them for "start up" in my experience it is a fee I had to pay to "ensure the levels were correct" to get the pebblesheen warranty ... but they did not do anything but throw stuff in once.

If you want to take care of your pool, start now. Alternatively, start testing and calling whoever is supposed to be taking care of the levels every time you think there is a problem ... not sure that will get you anywhere though.

They should have given you something with the recommended levels for the first few weeks/months for the plaster. The plaster will tend to pull the pH up, but I am not sure what levels they recommend/require for warranty issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.