Pump problems?

Apr 5, 2012
Hey guys! Newbie here! I have just purchased a house with an inground pool. The pool has set idle for two years, so it's nasty. We took a water sample to the pool store to see where I should start. Well, anyway we have added chemicals and scooped up leaves for over a week now. The pool store recommended that we change the sand in the pool. Ever since I changed the sand, I've had to backwash the pump very frequently and it seems like the water isn't recirculating like it was before I changed the sand out. I'm wondering if this is normal or if I've put too much sand in the filter. Any help would be appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brad

18 x 36 ig pool vinyl
Hayward sand filter pump model sp714
75 gpm

Having to backwash frequently is a product of what you're clearing out of the pool.

The frst thing you need to do is learn how to properly shock you pool and get it clean. There are a few articles on how to turn a swamp into an oasis. You can start reading there.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

The more frequent backwashes are likely just due to more stuff being killed and captured. I am not too familiar with sand filters, but I thought if they were overfilled you will end up with sand in the pool.

You should read through pool school and more specifically Defeating Algae and How to Shock Your Pool before you continue to give money to your pool store.

If you want to get a handle on this, you need to be testing your pool yourself and reading until you understand what is going on in your pool so that you can start enjoying it.

Post up your latest test numbers and we will try to give you advice ... but note, that getting advice from us and from your pool store can often lead to confusion.

What have they had you add to the pool to date? Did they discuss with you the relationship between CYA and FC ... this is the #1 most important thing to understand to keep a clear pool.

Thanks for the replies guys! Well, I've ordered a test kit. I do have the results from the pool store. CYA-0, TC-7.5, FC-0, pH- <6.2. Obviously, I need to add stabilizer. Thanks for any help going forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.