Help with BBB

Apr 6, 2011
We just finished filling up our brand new 24' x 54" AGP with water...all electric work is done. It is now time to treat the water. The pool dealer is wanting to sell us something that is copper based instead of chlorine but I want to use the BBB method. I have been reading the links to the BBB method but I cannot find the actual first steps that I must do to get the ball rolling. Please pardon my ignorance but could someone tell me step by step how to start this method in a new pool? I want to do it right. Is everything based off the pool calculator?

I don't have a test kit yet except for the strips that came with the pool. Does that mean that using the pool is completely out for this weekend?

Welcome to TFP!

The first step is to test your water. Next, head to Pool School and read pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Then come back to this thread with your results and questions and we'll get you started. You should be ready to swim within a few hours if the water is warm enough.

Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for. Will the small test kit from Wal-Mart be enough to get me started while I wait for my TF-100 to get here or would I be better just taking a sample to a pool store for the first test?

I'd take a sample to the pool store, but don't buy anything from them.

Since you haven't added any CYA yet I'd add about 2 ppm of FC in there. That's about 2 quarts of 6% bleach.

Then I'd buy a bucket of CYA. You'll need about 6 lbs to get to 50 ppm. You can buy that at the pool store while you're there if you want or you can get it at Walmart etc. I'd start getting that in there either using a sock in front of a return or if the water is clear and you won't have need to backwash you can add it to the filter through the skimmer.

Post back the numbers and we'll help you more.

dmullen said:
Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for. Will the small test kit from Wal-Mart be enough to get me started while I wait for my TF-100 to get here or would I be better just taking a sample to a pool store for the first test?

It will do. Don't worry about the chlorine or CYA(depending on the kit) until you have actually added some. Check you pH and TA to determine what you might need there, then use poolcalculator.com to see how much bleach you should add to get to 5ppm Free Chlorine and how much CYA you should add to get to about 35ppm CYA. Add your bleach by pouring a small stream as you walk around the pool. If you are sure of your water volume, add the CYA to an old sock and hang it over the side of the pool in front of the return. Test your CYA in about a week, and test your chlorine in about an hour. Leave the pump running the first couple of days. If you aren't sure of the volume, add only about 2/3 the CYA you think you need so you can double check when it is fully dissolved and add more if needed.

Your chlorine demand may be kind of unpredictable with no CYA and new water, so you may need to check it every couple of hours until you get a better idea. Your small kit won't measure above 5ppm, so dilute the water sample with 2 parts distilled water to one part pool water and test the mixture and then multiply the reading by 3.

Checking in one more time before I go to Wal-Mart today. Ordered my TF-100 but will pick up the small Wal-Mart test kit today to get started. You are saying that I should add 2 quarts of 6% bleach and 6 pounds of CYA (this is shock correct?) to the water first to get started? Is there a specific brand of CYA at Wal-Mart I should look for? Since the pool is new and just filled up should I add the 6 pounds directly into the skimmer? Also, will it be safe to swim in today after a certain period of time?

dmullen said:
Checking in one more time before I go to Wal-Mart today. Ordered my TF-100 but will pick up the small Wal-Mart test kit today to get started. You are saying that I should add 2 quarts of 6% bleach and 6 pounds of CYA (this is shock correct?) to the water first to get started? Is there a specific brand of CYA at Wal-Mart I should look for? Since the pool is new and just filled up should I add the 6 pounds directly into the skimmer? Also, will it be safe to swim in today after a certain period of time?

No. The CYA is the stabilizer/conditioner NOT shock. It is cyanuric acid. Here is a link to chemical details:
pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

The solid form is best put in a sock and either hung in front of a return or set in the skimmer.

The pool should be safe after getting a little FC in it since the water is new. Having the CYA dissolving will not be bad for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I apologize for the delay...had a business emergency to deal with. I have the 6 pounds of CYA and the 2 quarts of bleech in the pool and the filter is running 24/7 now. My TF-100 has shipped but I will take some readings with the Wal-Mart kit today after work and post the results to see where to go from here.

So had you not been adding any bleach between the 7th and 11th? You really need to be adding chlorine every day ... especially since you did not have any CYA in the pool protecting the FC from the sun.

Please test what you can and give us the levels so we can help you stay on top of it and avoid the water turning green already.

Try to lower your PH and your TA as they're very high. After that you MUST keep your FC above 5 at all times. Slip below and you're asking for more work in dealing with a green pool.

Step 1 for you
Lower PH to mid 7's

Step 2
Add bleach to get to at least 5FC

This is the very least I would do right away to avoid a green pool. Others will chime in with a full plan for shocking the pool.

First thing is to get FC in that pool and the second thing is to lower your pH into the mid 7s. Both are important and should be adjusted soon.

How much pool school have you read? Have you played with poolcalculator.com to learn how to calculate appropriate dosages?

For a CYA of 60 you need to keep FC between 5-7ppm.

Let me know what dosages you get from poolcalculator and we can compare our numbers and make sure you understand how to use it.

Where the pool calculator says "Goal" and "Not set up" ...i put your recommended numbers in "Goal" and "Not set up is where I put my current test results?

Pool is 14K gallons.

It says add 52oz of Borax for the PH.

dmullen said:
Where the pool calculator says "Goal" and "Not set up" ...i put your recommended numbers in "Goal" and "Not set up is where I put my current test results?
First scroll down to the "suggested goal levels" row and select "troublefreepool.com", bleach, and your pool surface. Now numbers will show up in each row for goals. Now enter in each row your current numbers (in the now column which is the left most column) and the calculator recommendations will show up in each row section under the "target" (right most)column. It takes a couple to tries to get used to the format. Don't forget to add you pool volume on top. Once you get your recommendations, post hem here and we can double check.

Well Linen jumped me :wink: see what I wrote below:

Whoa ... that is not right as Borax will RAISE the pH. Lets get you straightened away. No worries ... :)

The first thing to do is set your pool size at the top (I estimate 14500, but will switch to 14000 so we match) and your Suggested Goal Levels at the bottom: Pick TFP.com, Bleach (this is what you are using right?), Vinyl

Then put your test results down the NOW column and put the levels you want down the TARGET column.

For now we are ONLY focusing on FC and pH as those are the most critical.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.