PH Rising too fast

Mar 2, 2012
Cooper City, FL
Hi there,

I have a 10080 gallons plaster pool with SWG that was built 4 months ago. I have read that new plaster pools have high acid demand, but mine seems too high.

I lower the PH to 7.4 and on day 2 is 7.6 and on day 3 is 8. I lowered it to 7.0 on a Monday and checked it in on Friday and it was 8.0. Only the PH is rising, the TA is stable.

Is this normal? If not, any suggestion on how to make the PH stable?

I have a Taylor Kit and the current levels are:

FC 6
CYA 70
TA 70
CH 290
PH 7.8
Salt 3600
Borates 45
Water Temp 84

Thanks

I certainly agree that that is a very rapid rise and am not sure why yours is different. By far, the most important part is to keep it in the 7's, regardless of the cause.

It will surely slow down but the consequences of letting your pH go into the eights and stay there for any extended period are not good at all.

Get some more muriatic and monitor both TA and pH. Your TA should lower as your pH lowers. If it doesn't, the testing is not correct.

Dave thanks for the quick reply.

TA is lowering but not every time I put acid. It was around 90 and it is now 70. I am planning to raise it to 80 when it gets to 60.

Will raising CYA to 80, 90, or 100 help reducing the PH rate of increase?

Also I have a couple of sprinklers next to the pool and some water from them gets into the pool. They are on twice a day for 30 min. could the aeration from the sprinklers be contributing to the PH increase?

Will raising CYA to 80, 90, or 100 help reducing the PH rate of increase?

Also I have a couple of sprinklers next to the pool and some water from them gets into the pool. They are on twice a day for 30 min. could the aeration from the sprinklers be contributing to the PH increase?

Raising the CYA will not help. For my taste, that's just a little too high anyway so keep it where it is.

The sprinklers are surely not contributing enough to even consider. I wish I could pinpoint why your rate of increase is high but I can't....I can only emphasize the importance of keeping it under control.

Your new plaster is contributing to the rapid ph rise. You will need to adjust the ph almost daily or every other day to keep it in check for the first few months. The ph will stabilize with time as the plaster continues to cure.

Your experience is very similar to mine. My pool is 16 months old and I'm still adding about 30 oz. of MA every 5 days or so to drop the pH back down to around 7.5 or 7.6. But for the first 3-4 months I was going through about 4 gallons of MA each month. Even more during the first month.

Will it be ok to drop the PH to 7.0 and wait until it gets to 7.8 to drop it back to 7.0? I am not sure if a PH of 7.0 is harmful for the pool. I know that below 7.2 tend to make eyes sting, but I can time it so it is not below 7.2 on the weekend when we usually use the pool.

It's fine to do but I don't think you're gaining much and your operating just a little outside normal. still OK but I wouldn't think it worth the trouble to have to monitor pH more closely.

I've got a 22000 gallon pool and it's 1 3/4 years old and I'm still adding about gallon muriatic acid over a month period. I do have a waterfall that contributes, but it was much more than that at the beginning. Cheap maintenace being that it will probably be the only thing you'll be adding all year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.