connect a variable speed pump to old intermatic control?

I live in Hawaii so have high electric prices. I would like to buy a variable speed pump but don't know if it can be connected to my older intermatic control. Right now I have a filter, cholorinator, and a pool sweep connected to it (all made by different companies). If I have to buy a new control system to match the pump how will it connect to my other components (or can it)? Which control system would be the best considering cost and effectiveness and my various components?

thanks for your help

The Intelliflo VS 011018 has a built in timer so you wouldn't need to use a mechanical timer at all. Plus it is reasonably priced.

Forgive me if I am asking dumb questions, but I am trying to understand how it all goes together. I have a separate pump for the pool sweeper. Would the variable pump replace that? I am thinking of buying the intelliflo. If it can replace the other pump using a higher speed on the variable, I'm not clear on how that would be controlled.

On a separate issue, I read that these pumps can produce dangerous suction. At what speed would that happen and is that a commonly used speed.

Thanks again

The Intelliflo has it's own controller on the pump so you can set the pump to any speed you want to via a keypad.

On a separate issue, I read that these pumps can produce dangerous suction. At what speed would that happen and is that a commonly used speed.
Where did you read that? Nearly any pump can produce dangerous suction depending on the situation so that is not unique to the Intelliflo. For the Intelliflo, the higher the RPM, the higher the flow rate and a higher flow rate creates higher suction and higher return pressure. It only becomes dangerous if you have a single main drain that someone could get stuck on or someone sticks their hand into the skimmer port. If you have dual main drains and keep a skimmer basket in the skimmer, then neither is all that likely to occur unless someone does something stupid. If you do have a single main drain, you can get the SVRS version of the Intelliflo (011017). This will shut down the pump if someone gets stuck on the main drain and the suction gets too high. Also, you should be able to eliminate the booster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.