Starite Max-E Therm NG 400

lioness8674

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2011
Lake Forest, CA
Our heater has been having a couple issues:
1. The panel buttons are not working like they are supposed to, all the lights work, but when you push the buttons you have to push, push, push to get the thing to turn on or off and to change the temperature
Does this mean replace the control board and the membrane or one or the other - is this something joe schmoe can do or should I have the pool guy come out and do it for $80 a hour?

2. The other problem I am having is that when the heater does come on, it rattles and shakes the whole setup - kinda scary standing next to it. I had someone tell me it was the thermistor, another person told me it was the whole manifold kit that needed replacing. Again - is this something we can do ourselves or should we pay someone to do it for us?

Thanks in Advance for your help!

More the likely the shaking and bouncing is due to the internal by-pass is bad. It should get worse if you have a spa and put it in spa mode.. It's a strong chance the board needs to be replaced. Also $80.00 an hr is not a bad price at all.

We only use the heater for the spa, it's in ground. Also, the guy that we had come out a couple years ago told us that our gas meter was too small for the heater - would this be causing any of these problems?

Forgot to say our heater is at least 6 years old.

Yes that's the samething. Replaceing the bypass is very easy to do.. First you will undo the plumbing from the header, then unplug the wire from the side of the header, undo all the bolts and pull the header off, I take the thermister off also, once you have the header in your hand pull the cover off and you will see the by-pass inside... Sta-rite even supplies good instructions with all parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.