New to Pool School!

Hi-
I have been reading the forum off and on since last year. I am not new to pools, but to a SWG, yes. I know you need test results to help--but, need to know when to re-test after all I have done, then I can post. Trying to get rid of some algae. I have put 3 gallons of bleach in today at 4 hour intervals. When can I re-test to check my FC, etc. If you need a list of what all I have put in and done, I will supply that and what the Leslie's test was last week, on 3/29/11. Thanks so much! I am so ready to have a clean, clear pool again!

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum! Please post your original results, and let us know what you have put in the pool so far.

Are you currently shocking your pool? If so, you want to measure the chemical levels very often and keep your FC at shock level. You should get a test kit (I recommend TF Test Kits) ASAP so that you don't have to go to the pool store every time you want a reading.

Lastly, it will be helpful if you put pool and equipment specs in your signature box. Pool size, type of pool, equipment make and models.
Edit: By the time I typed my post, you already had a sig box! :hammer:

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

I wouldn't test for an hour after adding chemicals, and the PH test results are only valid when the FC level is 10 or lower. Other than that, you can test any time.

Thanks Jason, for the quick reply. I just went out to get info as suggested for our profiles, and just noticed, that we have not had the sanitizer output on! Boy do I feel like a dork!! So--now do that and I will get back with results and levels. I really like how everyone is so helpful with each other here :)

Ok-over a week ago I started with 3 lbs shock, 1 gal.muractic acid. Did that about every 2 days. Took a sample of water to leslies 3/29 and here was the reading:
FAC 2
TAC 2
CH 230
TA 100
pH 7.5
CYA 30
Phospahtes 100.
So I was told by another pool gentleman to lower the pH and raise the CYA--finally got the test kit from leslies- the total poolcare dpd test kit, especailly since I live in a small town and am 25 minutes away from the next "big" town. Thanks everyone!!

westexassunsets said:
inally got the test kit from leslies- the total poolcare dpd test kit
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that kit does not do the FAS-DPD test which is most useful when dealing with algae. From this link:
DPD
N, N-diethyl-paraphenylenediamine

Tests both FC and TC. You have to subtract the FC from the TC to get your CC. This test will turn different shades of red when chlorine is present and uses a color comparator that you match up the shade of red with. Many men have problems with this test because they are unable to differentiate the shades of red! This test can bleach out when chlorine levels go above 10 ppm and will turn colorless. This can lead you to believe that there is NO chlorine in your pool when it is actually very high. You can use OTO to verify if chlorine is present since it will not bleach out at high chlorine levels.

FAS-DPD
Ferrous ammonium sulfate-N, N-diethyl-paraphenylenediamine

A titration or drop count test for both FC and CC, to find your TC add your FC and CC readings. Measures chlorine levels up to at least 25 ppm with an accuracy of .2 ppm. This is the test you want! It does not suffer from the bleach out problem that the DPD test has and is very easy to read since the color change is from red to colorless.
See link in my sig on recommended test kits.

westexassunsets said:
So I was told by another pool gentleman to lower the pH and raise the CYA
Test what you can with the test kit you just got and post the results. We will recommend from there.

Yes, well-that is the only test kit available in this town. I felt like I needed to have something quick to test the water besides the strips. We have also cleaned our filters for the 4th time as of 9:15 tonite since last week. Been brushing, vacuuming etc.,as recommended. I will try to get the better kit ordered and coming in. Thanks for the info-all very new to me with the SWG and being told so many different things,by different people and opinions.I do realize some are trying to up sell and the chemicals are not necessary. Just want to be able to take care of our ourselves:))!

westexassunsets said:
Yes, well-that is the only test kit available in this town. I felt like I needed to have something quick to test the water besides the strips. We have also cleaned our filters for the 4th time as of 9:15 tonite since last week. Been brushing, vacuuming etc.,as recommended. I will try to get the better kit ordered and coming in. Thanks for the info-all very new to me with the SWG and being told so many different things,by different people and opinions.I do realize some are trying to up sell and the chemicals are not necessary. Just want to be able to take care of our ourselves:))!
Please post they test values you get from the kit you already have. FC,TC,ph, TA, CH, CYA then we can go from there. From you last post, it sounds like you are in the middle of the shocking process as detaled here?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.