Copper removal

Apr 2, 2012
South east VA
I am getting ready to open my pool, I'm installing a SWG for the first time after having a power ionizer for the three years (bad advice on getting one.) But anyways because of it, I have high copper, so I'm not going install it this year. But I want to remove the copper or at least lower it and also the stains that it has caused.

But I'm confused on how best to go about it, I don't want to really drain my whole pool. I have read here about proteam metal magic. Do you all think this would be good enough to use to treat my problem? I've also been thinking about this product, but it's kind of expensive and not sure how good it would work either, it's called metaltrap http://www.askalanaquestion.com/METALTRAP.htm. Does anyone have any experience with that? Definitely if there is a cheaper option that works well, I'm all for it.

Any other ideas is appreciated.

Also, should I get my copper lowered first before starting up the SWG? Thanks for any advice,

ProTeam Metal Magic, like other sequestrants, is primarily for preventing stains, and does little to actually remove metals. Sequestrants bind to metals and hold them in solution, preventing them from depositing as stains, but do not normally remove the metals from the water. Filters like the MetalTrap can remove some metals, but they have very low flow rates and don't usually remove a very high percentage of the metals from the water. Another option is the CuLator. Unfortunately it is fairly new and we don't have enough experience to say how effective it is.

I have the smaller Metaltrap and I can not say how effective it is. I filled my pool recently with it, but still had metal precipitate out of the water. Before filling, I tested the unfiltered supply water for copper and iron with both reading zero. I do have some stainless components in the pool and do not know if that is an issue or not. I added Metaltrap Stain Remover and Liquid Metaltrap and that got the metal to precipitate back into the water, but the funny thing is I still get zero readings on both tests.

I was thinking about taking another poster's suggestion of connecting the Metaltrap to a submersible pump and let it just run on the bottom of the pool. I have a Little Giant pump, where all I need is a hose connector, but with zero readings for metal, I have no way to verify if it will help. So I haven't tried it yet and the Metaltrap additives seem to be keeping the metal off the sides.

sminnick said:
It is total copper and at closing last year it was between 1 and 1.5 ppm,(haven't taken cover off yet this year, waiting to get my swg in this week). I have a liner pool, 7500 gallons.
Yes that is a bit high, as you have a liner it is not so critical but you must make sure the pH stays a little lower than usual say pH7.2
You could try zeolites in you filter as they have an ability to collect copper rather well it is reported by a ioniser dealer, but if you do that, do it before converting to salt as the effect will be diminished afterwards.
Other than that the level will reduce with backwash and splash out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.