when is the best time to add metal sequestrent?

Feb 7, 2012
i have a problem with alot of iron in the water.i`m in southern mexico and many people have had the same problem this year.for some reson there is alot of iron in the city and my well water.when i add chlorine to the pool it turns green.i can put in a clarifier but then have to vacumn out to waste the debris and then need to add more water,vicious cycle.i have found a product down here called klaren max is is a algicide ,metal sequetstrent.i have water coming in from the city tap today(we only get it twice a week)so i usually fill the pool to almost overflow,then add a clarifier .i let everything settle out and waste out the debris in the morning.right now there is virtually no chlorine in the pool and it was pretty clear.i scraped down the walls so now it is a little cloudy.i was planning on filling it high today and adding the clarifier and vacumn to waste tommorrow.should i add the metal sequesterent then after the waste ,and when should i try putting some chlorine back in?i plan on backwashing and adding some diatomaceuos earth to my sand filter before i put in the seguestrent.i will add the sequestrent with the filter on recirculate then switch it back to filter after a while.thanks for any help

It is best to add sequesterant before chlorine is added. See this post by JasonLion: http://www.troublefreepool.com/filling-pool-order-of-chemicals-t19130.html#p156954

Do you know what the Klaren Max has in it? Avoid copper algaecides if you can...you don't need anymore metal in your pool.

You are taking a risk without having chlorine in your pool, as you know if you wait too long to add chlorine, you most likely will get algae...but I also see you have an interesting challenge with your water.

i added the sequestrent and circulated it for awhile then i put in some chlorine,then put the pump back on filter and added d.e.i noticed the water was pretty clear not crystal but better than it had been.so i added alittle more chlorine and it started to turn green .i backwashed and then added another liter of the klaren max on recirculate setting for about 15 mins.then back to filtration and adde more d.e..just waiting to see if gets the green out.i did notice that the p.h. was really low before i added the second liter of klaren but then went back up to normal .the chlorine level is in range on the low side,but i don`t want to add more till i see what happens.

just a follow up .i let the pump run all night and still have green water.i guess it`s back to a clarifier and vacum out to waste again.the klaren seemed to help but it just doesn`t take to much chlorine to make it green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.