When to replace Polaris tires?

Oct 8, 2009
Hello!

Just wondering how often do I need to have the tires replaced on the Polaris 280? It's been used for the last 2 summers constantly. I have noticed some wear and tear on the the entire Polaris...scratches, etc..from the pool surface. We have a quartz finish...not rough but not smooth either.
I can't remember if the tires had tread on them or not?

Thanks for any input!

Hello mamasproject!

Is your 280 still preforming properly? Does it have any trouble moving around and cleaning your pool? If not, I wouldn't replace anything.
The wheels on the 280 are smooth (the smaller inner-wheel has grooves, but it acts more like a gear and does not touch the ground). Here is a close-up picture.

Attachments

• F5_closeup.jpg
    F5_closeup.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 196
Thanks for the info! I just put it in the pool today so I will have to see how it's working. I just wasn't sure if the wheels had treads or not....my middle wheel is a bit worn but still has the grooves on it.
If all is working, I will just leave it alone!

blakej said:
Hello mamasproject!

Is your 280 still preforming properly? Does it have any trouble moving around and cleaning your pool? If not, I wouldn't replace anything.
The wheels on the 280 are smooth (the smaller inner-wheel has grooves, but it acts more like a gear and does not touch the ground). Here is a close-up picture.

Blake,,, Just a follow up on that pic... Should the grooves on the middle wheel/gear touch the outside tires? It looks like that is what drives them right? If the cleaner is not moving very much or very well like it used to,,,eg.- climbing walls and stuff... coule that be the issue?

Replacing the rubber tires on the two bigs or even all three should be a low cost fix before going to the kits,,,or replacement all together right?

DMAN

DMAN11 said:
Blake,,, Just a follow up on that pic... Should the grooves on the middle wheel/gear touch the outside tires? It looks like that is what drives them right? If the cleaner is not moving very much or very well like it used to,,,eg.- climbing walls and stuff... coule that be the issue?

Replacing the rubber tires on the two bigs or even all three should be a low cost fix before going to the kits,,,or replacement all together right?
Yes, the middle wheel should touch the outer tires. This is what drives the unit. And yes, replacing the tires and/or wheel is a very cheap fix. I would guess the middle wheel would not wear out, but the tires might after lots of use. New tires sell for about $11 each, and the middle wheel is $7. Certainly cheaper than a tune-up kit!! :whoot:

Another update! I found out that the inner wheel can wear out (although it is pretty rare). Another more important point - improper pH levels can cause the tires to become gummy. When this happens, you should consider replacing them. This can be caused by high OR low pH, so make sure to keep it in the proper range (7.5-7.8)!

Hey Blake,,, just wanted to check in... I was able to take a closer look at my Polaris, and wanted to see if you had any ideas... I turned the wheels and the 2 bigs don't always touch the small middle wheel, so it looks like I will need to order some new tires for all three. Or at least for the two bigs and a new small one.

Also, when turning the wheels the middle one turns freely, the rear big one turns freely, and the front big one turns freely ONLY sometimes... Other times it feels like there are some gears or something catching on it like it is the "drive wheel",,, BUT, at times it feels like that drive wheel is slipping on the gears like they are not grabbing all the way ( if that makes sense)... I think this is what causes some slippage and spinning of the tires sometimes...

Is there a "drive assembly" in that front wheel I can change along with the tires, or is it something inside the unit? I haven't had time to go to a store and compare a new unit to see if it has the same behavior, so just wanted to see if you had an idea... I have seen the "tune-up" kits for like $125, but not sure if I need everything in it.. And, if just getting a couple tires and a small wheel for $20 will do it, don't want to spend the cash...hehe

Anybody have any ideas or past experiences similar?

Thx....DMAN

Hey DMAN, I am honestly not exactly sure how the wheels are supposed to feel when turning them, but I can do my best to find out!

The drive shaft assembly (sku C86) sells for $22. So in theory, you could replace all your tires (3), the smaller wheel, and the drive shaft for under $50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.