HTH 6 Way tester vs Strips (FC vs TC)

nivek911

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2007
We just purchased a 24' round pool and I'm getting the water adjusted. We had a Intek pool before, and I always used test strips. I never had an issue with algea, but I probably put too much chlorine in it a few times. With the new pool, I've purchased the test strips and the HTH 6 way kit from Walmart. I've been reading more about water testing, and have a better understanding of how it works.

In the last week, I've dropped 2-3 Quart Walmart Ultra Bleach. Tonight, the strips show 0 FC, but the 6 way kit doesn't have FC test. It has a TC, and it shows about 2-3. This weekend, I dropped in 2 lbs of shock, and since my CYA is 0 or close to it, that appeared to be the right amount to shock based on bleachcalc.

I am trying to get the CYA up slowly and plan to take the water to the pool store this weekend to confirm the values. I've been running a Tri-Clor puck in a floater to slowly raise the CYA (along with about a 1lb of stabilizer). I also had HTH Duration puck in the skimmer until tonight.

I guess my question is should I get worry about the FC being 0 on the test strips? Should I get a drop kit that tests for FC, or is knowing the TC enough?

Thanks for any input!

You should by all means get a real test kit as soon as possible. In the mean time I suspect that your test strips are just wrong. It seems rather unlikely that you have CC of 2 and FC of 0 with clear water and a recent shock.

not much to add to Jason's post....I think he's on the money.

I doubt your CYA will come up fast enough to protect your Cl.....I'd get enough in there to get to 30 at least then use the pucks if you need a little more

Thanks for the input. I didn't drop any bleach in last night, but I'll make sure that I drop some in tonight and then measure the FC in an hour or two just to make sure they appear on the test strips.

I'll get the water in to verify the CYA setting and drop more stabilizer in to get the CYA up faster. Thanks for the input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.