Pentair Authorized Dealers Only for Warranty

Mar 26, 2012
I know what I want and am shopping for price online. I have read that Pentair will not honor the warranty from non-authorized dealers. Is this true? Do I really have to pay several $100 more just so I make sure the Pentair will honor it's product? We will have a authorized installer do the work...Penair's dealer search tool is pretty bad. If you search for the same name it only comes up sometimes. 2 random authorized dealers had no Pentair pumps. Argg :grrrr:

I tried to call Pentair today to explain where I want to buy from(online), who is going to install, that I have an SWG, and that I am seasonal only (i'll actually take down my Intex) to see if I'll have warranty issues if I buy their suite (heater, filter, pump) to get a three year warranty. I'll call back tomorrow since they were closed when I called. Please post any info you find out, and I'll do the same.

We are an authorized warranty station and they tell us that if it is bought on the internet we are not to work on it under warranty. The reason is it cannot be proven that it wasn't a used product when it was purchased. BS I know but Pentair is trying to support brick and mortar stores.

I just called Pentair for a warranty claim on my intelliflo pump that I bought from Pool Supply World on eBay and didn't have any troubles. I just sent proof of purchase and that was all it took

I spoke at length to a guy at Pentair today who initially said there would be no problems at all. Then he told me the two repair shops in town and I said both had already told me they won't work on it if I don't buy from them. Interestingly, I had to spell Intex for him and explain the seasonal pool concept to him -- but once he understood it, he still said he did not see a problem. He said he'd look into it and get back to me, and it sounded like he might be calling the pool stores or talking to a supervisor. I'll post his reply if I get one -- he seemed perplexed at what I was telling him and repeatedly said it would be no problem as far as he knew.

It should be noted that I am not completely sure if the local pool stores were saying "no" to working on my equipment due to buying it on-line or because it was going to be used on an Intex. One of those guys said in no uncertain terms an Intex can't handle real equipment and said a 400,000 btu heater can't be used on an above ground pool - period.

When becoming a Pentair Authorized Warranty Center, you are contracted to work on warranty work, regardless of where the unit was purchased for. The Warranty Center's cannot charge extra fees, or decline warranty work based upon where the item was purchased. This is a very common thing for shady repair centers to do to get extra money out of the consumer.

Call Pentair directly and they will make sure you get taken care of, if you have any problems with the warranty centers, make sure you contact Pentair back and direct these concerns to them. Pentair pays these centers a fee to do warranty work, unfortunately, some of these centers will try to make extra money off the unknowing consumer. Also, there isn't an authorized Pentair dealer program. If you buy it brand new, it will be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. There is an authorized builder program that allows new pools to get extended warranty if they purchase so many Pentair products however.

Hopefully this help clears this up. I have seen numerous bad companies rip consumers off for warranty repairs over the years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.