AGP Shopping ?'s

Ron69

Jun 9, 2009
So we have had our 18' Intex for 3 years now and the wife and kids have proven that they will help maintain a pool and that we would use it enough to get our money's worth out of a big pool. So I began shopping. I knew that I wanted:a swg--love mine on the intex, an expandable liner--so that we had a deep end, a cartridge filter--we are on a well and backwashing a sand filter wastes a lot of water.

Well after going to every pool store in my area I'm at a loss. It seems noone in my area wants to do a deep end for liability purposes, none of them recommend swg's and said it would void the warrenty, and they all recommend sand filters and price the cartridge filters three times higher.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had these problems and what they did?

Thanks,
Ron

I haven't specifically heard these problems but it doesn't surprise me. Most folks in your situation buy online and either install it themselves or get a local installer to install it for them.

Have you talked directly to an installer?
If you have problems finding the names of one just ride around and when you find a pool being installed stop and ask the workers.

Maybe SWG's void the warranties on pools they sell, but I know some companies advertise certain model pools (resin) for use with SWG's. Aqua-leader is one quality manufacturer that does this, I believe Sharkline does as well. Maybe you have to but a certain make/model pool online.

I tried asking three diffrent installers and none of them would do a deep end.

I have priced a sharkline matrix pool online. They seem to be well liked. I'm just not to sure about installing it myself!

It also seems that after I price one online, pay to have grading done and pay for install (if I can find someone to do a deep end) it will wind up costing more than a package from the local pool store. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Ron

Standard AGP installs in my area are the generally the same price as the pool.

If your not interested in installing yourself, and no one local will add the deep end, it may just be easier to go with a standard install.

Welcome to tfp, Ron69 :wave:

It is quite possible to do a diy agp install with deepend. I did my first ever agp install with deepend two falls ago and my family really likes it. It is a bit more work than doing a flat install, which is quite a bit of work in the first place. Let us know if you want details.

Rent a mini excavator ($300 for the weekend in my area), sod cutter ($40/day), laser level (????), a couple shovels, and some friends (the ones you will be doing this with :cheers: when the pool is finished) and get ready to go. Buy the pool on line (then you can get the correct sized pump/filter for the pool separate and save some money on electricity), lay out the bottom track, paint 2 foot around it and get to digging.

*disclaimer - There are a number of other steps that have to be taken like calling building inspectors and electricians but you get the just of it. I havent actually done this yet, but this is my plan : )

Good luck. I did do a lot of research on pools, but not a whole lot of Salt pools. If Salt is a must, resin would be the way to go I think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.