Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello Guys
My name is Kris and I'm new to this forum.
I received a water filtration pump from my uncle. The pump is Hayward Model #EC-30. He told me to open the pump and wash the cartridges. But when I open it these "sticks" have mold all over them. Is there a way to clean them? New ones cost over $200 and I'm able to purchase them right now.
:cry:

Hi, welcome to TFP! The Hayward EC 30 is a DE filter, it does not have a cartridge, but uses long flexible "tubes or fingers" to hold the DE. Debris sticks to the DE as it passes through the filter. Have you hosed off the tubes? After hosing off the tubes soak them in a solution of 1 cup laundry detergent in a large, clean trash can (30 gallon can) filled with water. Let it soak overnight and then hose the tubes off well to get rid of all the soap.

Yes you're right. The filter have tubes. My uncle wasn't running the filter for couple seasons. Do you recommend to do some kind of clean up before I will run the pump for the first time?

What kind of pool do you have?

How big is it?

How were you filtering it before?

We need you to tell us a lot more about your pool before we can offer really accurate advice.

How does your water look?

The cleaning zea3 recommended, hose off and then soak in water with detergent in it, (and rinse again before using), should take care of it. The chlorine in the pool water will sterilize anything that survives the cleaning.

JasonLion said:
The cleaning zea3 recommended, hose off and then soak in water with detergent in it, (and rinse again before using), should take care of it. The chlorine in the pool water will sterilize anything that survives the cleaning.
That's the answer I was looking for.
My pool is the cheap above ground Intex 18' dia. framed pool. I remove it and store it in the basement every winter. Before I have used the stock filter which is pain in the butt. Very small and weak.

Ha ha. We all replace the intex filters at some point. For me it was poor water circulation and running to the store to buy replacement filters. But keep it as a back up! I don't know how many times we've used it for other projects (i.e. for cleaning out a pond in our yard, etc). I figure if it breaks its no harm/no foul and I haven't lost any money since I think it was a POJ to begin with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would just keep the one it comes with. It's just a backup pump for whatever you may need it for. This year I had the greenest pool ever and I used my sand pump and my intex pump at the same time to clear it faster. Don't know if it helped but it seemed to!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.