Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

Feb 25, 2012
Ok so here is my problem. I have an 18' x 52" Intex metal frame pool that has started leaking out the bottom. My idea is to buy an overlapping 18' liner and stick it inside the pool. The Intex vinyl liner would be the pool walls and the new overlapping liner would of course overlap over the frame. I could use tarp grabbers instead of brass grommets to secure the liner with some small rope. I think it would only have to be snugg so it wouldnt flip back into the pool. Any one tried this? I can get an overlapping liner for $116 shipping included and the tarp grabbers for about $30. I think the intex replacement liner is around $400-$500. I know it sound pretty redneck but its all good I live out in the country.lol. Any ideas would be great. Thanks everyone.

Re: Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal f

Since you have to drain the pool anyway lift up the intex liner and make sure there is no nutgrass or other invasive weeds growing under there. If you find some treat the area well and consider a thicker ground cover under the intex liner.

I just installed it back up. When I took it down last year there was not any grass. I put black plastic, ground cloth that came with the pool and then another tarp. I always made sure that nothing would grow up through the pool.

Ok so I think its going to work. Its not the prettiest but it will work.

Attachments

• IMG_9308 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9308 (Small).JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 6,082
  • IMG_9311 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9311 (Small).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 5,123
  • IMG_9314 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9314 (Small).JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 5,101

Sounds like something I'd try too. I hope it works out well for you!

Come to think of it, I've read 2 reviews of this pool that had leaks out of the box. I hope it's a fluke, I just bought an 18' x 48" Ultra-Frame too. Is warranty coverage possible for you?

Well here are the finished pictures. I wish my warraty was still good but it wasnt so thats why I went this route. The liner cost me $140 because I got a 18' x 72" expanding 25mil instead of just a regular overlapping liner. I am glad I got the 25mil instead of the 20mil. Makes me fill a little bit better as far as lasting long I hope.

Attachments

• IMG_9370 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9370 (Small).JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 5,158
  • IMG_9369 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9369 (Small).JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 4,963
  • IMG_9368 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9368 (Small).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 4,939
Reactions: vlady25

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Almost done with pics.

Attachments

• IMG_9374 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9374 (Small).JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 5,026
  • IMG_9373 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9373 (Small).JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 4,854
  • IMG_9372 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9372 (Small).JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 4,884

Well this is the last pic. Thanks to everyone that has posted on this forum. I have gotten so many great ideas and information from from reading all the different post (as you can see from the spray bar and return). This is the best pool forum with awsome people. THANKS!!!!!!! :party:

Attachments

• IMG_9376 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9376 (Small).JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 5,055
Reactions: ranger_ric

Hbih923, great job :goodjob:

What you have done will be helpful to many intex owners :!:

Not that you need it, but I had an idea for doing the liner by wrapping in up under itself and into the pool (like some installations of liners on more permanent agp). My idea is fold the liner over so that only ~4 inches to the fold hangs over the rails and tuck the excess into the space between the liner and the inside wall of the pool. That would give you 2-ply where you attached the tarp clamps.

Dang that would have worked out good. Didn't think about doing that. With the double layer I would not have had to wrap the railing with the plastic. Since I don't leave mine up all year I will give that a try next year. I will have to buy a new liner since it will be impossible to get the suction hole lined up. Well I just got an idea just now while typing that. Next year when I install the same liner I can move the precut liner suction hole over and once the water gets below 3" from it, I can just cut a new hole in the Intex liner instead of trying to line up the precut liner hole to the precut Intex hole. :whoot: I wish the sand pump would suck up over the wall. That would have make it to where they would be no holes to cut. I am having so much fun with this. The posibilities are endless.

Didnt have to much splashout with just the regular Intex liner but will be very very little now for sure.

I do need to mention that I did take a screw driver and poked holes at the bottom sides of the Intex liner befoe I put the new liner in just in case the new liner got a leak the water will drain. I didnt want the water to get between the two liners and get stuck. I just dont like all the wrinkles but I can live with them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.