Black Algae on a Vinyl Liner

I did try an algaecide earlier this week, but only once. This was present before that. I'm going to try to get down and get a sample tonight or tommorow. It's 58 degrees here (after a week of high 80's) and I'm not looking forward to closer inspection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think it's mustard algae either. Mustard algae likes the shaded side of the pool. There are about 7000 types of green algae. The good thing about all of them is that chlorine will kill them.

Run the OCLT and then post a full set of test results and we'll have a better idea about what to do about it. scrubbing with a stiff brush will help but don't use a steel bristled brush.

Even if you pass the OCLT keep your FC at shock level and brush the tops off the stuff and allow the chlorine to kill it. You may need to do that a few times to get it all dead. Once it's dead you can let the FC come back down to the higher end of recommended.

That's kinda high. With a CYA in the 40 - 50 range you should be shooting for an FC of between 16 & 20. AND, you need to test and add as often as you can to keep it there. You also should be brushing the algae as often as you can to keep the tops knocked off it.

Ok, I will definitely work on that. I was grateful that we got some cooler weather this week (figured it would slow algae growth and keep chlorine lasting longer) but it's too dang cold to jump in and really start scrubbing. I will do the best I can until I can get in. Next week we should be back in the high 80's again. Only in North Texas!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.