My BBB Pool is expensive. Advice please!

AEFranklin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2011
Rock Creek, Alabama
I have been an advocate of TFP since I found it last year. I love it and have learned so much.

I got my pool in 2010 and did the "pool store" way of doing things with an Ionizer and bagged chemicals. It was a mess. Had ugly stained liner and child with green hair all season.

Found TFP in early 2011. Converted to BBB, loved it. However, last summer I spent way more money on bleach than I ever did with bagged pool chemicals. I did have a terrible algae bloom take over my pool after it filled up with tornado debris (including tons of insulation) last April 27th, but was able to get the algae under control with nothing but bleach -- and a lot of it.

I was wondering if there is anything I could do this year to reduce the cost of my chlorine consumption. I had to add two to three 182 oz jugs each day for the whole summer. During the algae bloom, I could add upwards of 6-8 182 oz jugs daily. The Wal-Mart brand costing $2.97 per jug had me easily spending $200-$300 per month during the heart of the swim season. I had a beautiful pool, but at a large cost. I was faithful to test the water, and had to use that much to keep it up. My neighbor was greatly impressed with the look of my pool, and when I told him I used bleach, he couldn't believe it (as he uses pool store chemicals). However, when I told him how much I had to spend, he said "****, no! Mine don't look as good, but it certainly doesn't cost that much to maintain either."

Again, I wouldn't change for the world, I don't care how much it costs because of the ease of use and all stains are gone, but keeping my CYA at 30 and chlorine at 6.0 is really costing me a lot of money. I have read over and over that the BBB method is supposed to be significantly cheaper, but it has actually been more expensive for me.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way I can cut down on the costs? Should my CYA be kept higher? My 27'x52" AGP is in full sunlight all day, every day. No shading. I have a great two-speed pump I run 24/7, and a vinyl liner. I'm near Birmingham, Alabama, so the humidity and heat is very high in the summer months. Pool temp easily reaches 95-100 in summer.

Any advice you could offer is great. Thank you for offering this great forum for those of us who were extremely frustrated and uneducated on pools. This site has been my best friend.

Angel

I agree with Mob Squad. I have a 35K gallon pool and in the heat of summer only use 1 gallon of 10-1/2% daily. This would equate to approximately 1 and 1/4 (182 oz) jugs of 6% bleach. I live in South West Georgia. I keep my CYA around 50.

And to finish off the Tri-fecta of Tucson,AZ comments ...

I agree that sounds like too much bleach.

I would recommend doing an overnight chlorine loss test ... just to be 100% sure you do not have a hidden algae bloom somewhere using up all your FC. If you fail, ... then you need to go through the shock process again.
After you pass, I would try bumping the CYA up to around 50 (then keeping your FC level between 4-6).

Thanks for the replies. I have done the overnight test, and last year lost quite a bit after the tornadoes, but got to where I lost none. Tried last week, am still losing none. I will bump CYA to 50 and see how that works. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. If you have any other ideas, keep them coming.

If you start to need chlorine like that again, please don't give up on BBB and ask again as there are many things that can consume the chlorine. Your CYA level was definitely on the low side and bumping it up to 50 should help out.

I am new to BBB and find this thread interesting. I have just about finished the shock process, and I can run my OCLT tonight since I now have my TF100. If Jasonknox's pool is typical for chlorine usage, then he is spending about $3/day/35,000 gal That would indicate roughly $0.86/day/10,000 gal. Does this estimate seem reasonable for planning?

byersj said:
I am new to BBB and find this thread interesting. I have just about finished the shock process, and I can run my OCLT tonight since I now have my TF100. If Jasonknox's pool is typical for chlorine usage, then he is spending about $3/day/35,000 gal That would indicate roughly $0.86/day/10,000 gal. Does this estimate seem reasonable for planning?

FC usage is HIGHly dependent on temperatures, amount of sun exposure, and usage, so it is pretty hard to make generalizations.

I have seen others mention using 2-3ppm of FC per day, but could easily require more than that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Angel, I am curious to know what you are using to test your pool chemicals. I know I live in a different part of the country, have a different kind of pool and it is situated in a different location in my yard, but since finding this site and switching to the BBB method last Sunday, I have only had to use three bottles of 6% bleach to maintain 20ppm FC (shock level). Your expenditure seems extreme. Somewhere there is something being missed...

Thor, I am and have been using the TF-100 test kit recommended by this site since March of 2011. I think the majority of my chlorine consumption last year had to do with the tornado debris and resulting algae problem. This year I don't have an algae problem but still am using 182 oz every other day or two and it's not even swim season yet. If I don't get to the bottom of the reason for the excessive consumption, I will be using 2-3 jugs daily again once temps rise here. On the advice if other posters, I am elevating my CYA to 50 to see if that helps and will post my results.

In the past, I have suspected Walmart bleach of being off strength. I was not able to test to confirm my concerns, but when I switched to Clorox in the 3-pack box from Sam's, things seemed better. I suggest doing a test of FC after adding the bleach and letting it circulate for an hour. Or maybe do a bucket test to see if the bleach is as advertised. Add 1/4 t in 2 gallons of distilled water should get 10 ppm TC if it is truly 6% bleach.

AEFranklin said:
Thor, I am and have been using the TF-100 test kit recommended by this site since March of 2011. I think the majority of my chlorine consumption last year had to do with the tornado debris and resulting algae problem. This year I don't have an algae problem but still am using 182 oz every other day or two and it's not even swim season yet. If I don't get to the bottom of the reason for the excessive consumption, I will be using 2-3 jugs daily again once temps rise here. On the advice if other posters, I am elevating my CYA to 50 to see if that helps and will post my results.

This seems excessive to me? I would for sure raise the CYA to 50, and you are passing a Overnight FC test right?

AEFranklin said:
Again, I wouldn't change for the world, I don't care how much it costs because of the ease of use and all stains are gone, but keeping my CYA at 30 and chlorine at 6.0 is really costing me a lot of money. I have read over and over that the BBB method is supposed to be significantly cheaper, but it has actually been more expensive for me.
You were targeting too high a FC for your CYA level last year. There may have been other factors at work, but this year be sure to go by the Chlorine/CYA chart to find target FC, whatever CYA level you choose.

Beez said:
AEFranklin said:
You were targeting too high a FC for your CYA level last year. There may have been other factors at work, but this year be sure to go by the Chlorine/CYA chart to find target FC, whatever CYA level you choose.

Good catch. The sun was probably doing a number of the "extra" FC that you kept adding.

If you go up to 50ppm, your target is FC of 4-6ppm.

Last year with my CYA @ 90-95 ppm I maintained a FC level of 10ppm. On the hottest days of the summer with 3-4 adults using the pool for a few hours I was using 3-3.5 ppm/day at most. (full sun for about 3/4 of the day)

New problem. I have raised my CYA to 50. FC has been kept between 4-6 faithfully since early March. Overnight loss test shows none lost. Ph is right in line consistently. Running pump 24/7. My pool water is cloudy and when I don't keep the vacuum running I have the dark dirt looking scum settling in the wrinkles on the bottom. I don't know what else to do. According to my T100 test kit, everything is exactly where it should be. I have started today adding borates to see if that will help. I'm about ready to give up on BBB because apparently I'm not doing something right and it is still expensive. Going to the store lugging multiple bleach jugs home multiple times per week is getting old. It's still not swim season yet.

BTW, I have cartridge filters and I clean and care for them weekly. I have two. I switch them weekly and keep them very clean. I know that nothing is getting back washed into the pool because the filter system gets a cleaning overhaul each weekend. When I pull the filter after running it a week, it's completely black. In the summer of 2010 when I first got the pool, the filter was dingy but never black like this. Since the algae outbreak after April tornadoes last year, I have nasty water I just can't get to stay clear like I did before.

Sorry for the long post. This is my first pool, my third summer (second on BBB) and I'm frustrated. I should say that my husband grew up with an in-ground pool. He won't touch mine (he insisted he didn't want a pool after growing up with one bc they were a pain and expensive to maintain. I'm quickly proving him right). He swears his dad did nothing but add a scoop of HtH each evening. I remember his dad doing that. Then why is mine so complicated when it's half the size?!

I just reread the entire thread, and it looks like you never took your pool through the shock process. Remember the three criteria, you're done shocking when...
1. You lose 1ppm FC or less overnight
2. CC's are .5 or less
3. Your pool is clear and sparkling

While you're passing 1 & 2 (which is odd, but possible), you haven't met 3. Without completely clearing the algae, all you're doing is staying barely in front of it, allowing it to live in the pool, but not let it get to full blown bloom.

Did you ever shock it? When? What exactly did you do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.