Polaris Salt Cell question...

DMAN11

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA area
Hey guys,,, Seems like forever!! Awesome to be back around the forum... I am looking for some help with my SWG setup...

Delima: About 6 to 7 months ago, our water started getting a little cloudy and eventually showed signs of algae(green). After testing and adding/adjusting chems, it cleared of course, but after a few weeks started again... When we did test, every time the salt and chlorine was low. We went through a few rounds of this, and well, coming into winter as we were, I added some chlorine and kinda let it ride until spring...

I figured it may be the sand filter or something like that so I contacted our pool store... The rep stated that it was the Polaris salt cell (AutoClear) that needed to be replaced. She didn't even send anyone over to check it, just said that was it... I asked specifically if it might be something else like the wall fixture/computer/??

Do any of you guys have any idea on these Polaris cells? Would it be the cell this soon? I have cleaned it every summer and it looks great as far as I can tell just looking... Would it be the generator/wall unit? or both? Would dirty sand in the filter cause this problem of continuing green in the water? She stated that the sand shouldn't need changing for up to 4 or 5 yrs of use, and as stated above,,, this is only our 4th summer...

We had our pool built in 2008, so we have only 3 FULL summers in it and this will be our 4th... Any advice before I loose the chains on such a chunk of change?

Thnaks,,,,DMAN

As you should already know, you need to post a full set of test results. :)

Are you getting any display on the SWCG that it's not generating?
Have you tested for FC right at the cell.
Since it's over three years old it could be a bad cell but we need a lot more info to determine that.

They should be able to test the cell at a local pool store.

OK guys,,, here's an update and of course,,, another question...

I changed out my salt cell,,, and added 6 bags of salt to the pool... After running a sample, I added some stabilizer (CYA?,,,is that right), of course added shock, and calcium increaser (what exactly for?),,,and some muratic acid for the pH...

Looks like the cell is coming on and all lights look to be working OK so far,,, BUT,,, my water isn't totally clearing up yet... I did these changes and additions about a week ago and took another sample to the store (I know, I know Bama,,, run it myself...hehe) and they said all numbers look good but chlorine was very low... they recommended 2 lbs of shock and give it a day or so to clear up. He says that IF it doesn't clear within a day or so then it sounds like the sand may need to be changed... Well,,, it hasn't cleared up... I can see the bottom on the shallow ends and around the sides, but the deepest part in the center (5.5 ft) is still cloudy...

I NEED SOME HELP HERE!!

I am not sure if it's the sand or something else,,, so what do you guys think... as I said above,,, this is our 4th yr.,,, inground vinyl liner,,,17,000 - 17,500 gal.

As I said, i was told my numbers looked good except for the chlorine, so I added 2lbs of shock.

Here is what numbers I do have:

pH 7.8
TA 110
CYA 45
CH 310

ALSO wanted to add that our pb insists that this is not a "sand thing"... She says all I need to do is get some "Super Blue"(??) clearifier, poor some in the skimmer, and let it filter through... and that will clear it up... any advice on this??

Any info/advice/help is appreciated...

Thx.....DMAN

We need FC and CC numbers.

And you're going to need to shock the pool properly. You absolutely do not need to change the sand!!! A complete shock process is all you need.

You also need to quit using that so called 'shock'

CH 310 :shock:

If you added a bunch of calcium, then that is exacerbating your issue. You don't need calcium in a vinyl pool, and that 310 number is high...especially if all that you put in is just suspended in the water and not absorbed....

CYA should be between 70 and 80 for use with a SWG. When CYA is low, as yours is, it is difficult or impossible to keep enough chlorine in the water. It seems likely that your old cell is still good, since the CYA issue alone would be enough to cause algae problems. One minor note, don't raise the CYA level until you are sure you have gotten rid of all of the algae. It is easier to fight algae when CYA is lower.

There is no need for calcium in a vinyl liner pool.

Some people change their sand every seven years, many people never change their sand. Sand will last essentially forever as long as you don't have any calcium scaling problems.

Neither "Super Blue", nor any other kind of clarifier is called for at the moment. You need to shock the pool and make sure you kill all of the algae. Once you have done that the filter should not have any problems clearing up the water.

You should really reconsider listening to the advice you are getting from this pool store. They have sold you a couple of things you don't need and which are not helping, along with giving you bad advice in several areas.

Thanks guys,,,

I know I need to go back to pool school and do some refreshing, but in the meantime... thanks for the help...

Well, I am not certain about the calcium, I'll double check that. I believe what they give me to put in is "Calcium Hardener"?? I mix it in a bucket of water to dissolve it, it gets really hot, and then I pour it in the pool...

As for the CYA / Cyanuric Acid / Stabilizer,,,, I put more of it in the pool in the last day or so... I put it in some old socks / nylons and let it dissolve...

JasonLion --"It seems likely that your old cell is still good, since the CYA issue alone would be enough to cause algae problems." Man Jason, I wish you woulda told me this a few weeks ago when I first posted... might have saved me some cash...hehe j/k... I do actually think that old cell was bad, it wasn't even coming on or anything. Since changing it, it is kicking on and the low salt light is not constantly blinging anymore. BUT I do still have the old one just in case...hehe

So, I will get me some bleach to get some chlorine in the pool... As for the algae being gone,,, I am hoping it is. I don't see or feel any sign of it anywhere anymore... not on the walls, floor, steps,,, anywhere... (fingers crossed)...

Thanks again guys for the help, info, and patience... I'll get out my TFP test kit and put up some numbers ASAP....

Thx....DMAN

DMAN11 said:
Well, I am not certain about the calcium, I'll double check that. I believe what they give me to put in is "Calcium Hardener"?? I mix it in a bucket of water to dissolve it, it gets really hot, and then I pour it in the pool...
That is what I call calcium hardness increaser, it increases the calcium level, often abbreviated CH and also called hardness. Calcium is very important in a plaster pool, but essentially irrelevant in a vinyl liner pool (unless the level gets too high, and then there is trouble).

That is what I call calcium hardness increaser, it increases the calcium level, often abbreviated CH and also called hardness. Calcium is very important in a plaster pool, but essentially irrelevant in a vinyl liner pool (unless the level gets too high, and then there is trouble).

SO, it sounds like I do not need to add any Calcium Hardness Increaser to my vinyl liner pool anymore then right?

Let me ask this if I may,,, other than maybe ripping me for a little bit extra,,, is there any other reason why they would recommend that increaser to me at all?

Thx....DMAN

It is common to try and have a single set of recommended levels for all pools. Calcium is very important for plaster pools, so they simply recommend it to everyone without thinking if they will actually need it or not. Besides, they make more money if they sell you things.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
We need FC and CC numbers.

And you're going to need to shock the pool properly. You absolutely do not need to change the sand!!! A complete shock process is all you need.

You also need to quit using that so called 'shock'

What shock should he/I be using? I use some granulated shock I picked up at pool shop. Should I be using something else? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I haven't been at this for long.

Quit going to the pool store! The only thing you need to shock your pool is BLEACH! Look for 6% bleach at the store, under a $1 a gallon, cheapest and best shock out there!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.