STA-RITE Heater - AFS problem

C141FE

Apr 3, 2012
New member here. I have a Sta-Rite SR400LP heater that is around 4 years old and has operated perfectly until now. The unit has power and the blower does run but it won't fire. After the blower stops, it gives a Service Heater led and an AFS led on the underside of the board. Checked for obstructions and damaged wiring and everything looked good. Ordered a new AFS switch with new tubes and installed it last night. Tried it again and I'm still getting the same symptoms and error led's.

I'm assuming the next logical step is to replace the Control Board (p/n 42002-0007S) ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can bypass the Air Flow Switch by jumping the two wires together and see if the unit fires. BTW if you look at the motor you should have a white or black air orrifice where several tubes connect. Is that orrifice intact or has maybe a rodent eaten it? Also, how does the blower motor sound when it does run? It could also be the blower motor.

I just had one this week very similar to your problem and it was the blower motor. I replaced it and all was good.

ps0303,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried jumping the two wires but I will now. The blower inlet housing looks fine, basically new. The tubes are also new since I replaced the AFS. As for the blower motor itself, it sounds normal to me. It spools up just fine and isn't making any odd noises. I placed my hand at the inlet and there is suction but I couldn't tell you if it's pulling normally or not since I've never checked it before.

I'll jumper the two AFS wires later today and let you know what happens. Thanks again for the assistance!

Service heater light comes on the moment the blower kicks on and then goes off when the blower ramps up to speed(one maybe two seconds).

Does your light come on the moment the blower turns off? Or does the light never go out when the heaters blower turns on?

First off, thanks to everyone for their input so far. It's greatly appreciated.

I finally got around to doing some more testing and troubleshooting. Here is what I have found so far:

Note: The AFS unit has been replaced along with new tubes.

1) The "Service Heater" LED comes on right after the unit goes through it's initial electronic startup sequence along with the "AFS" LED on the underside of the control board. The Blower does spool up but there is no ignition. The blower then shuts off after it's cooldown period expires (a few minutes). You can smell a small whiff of gas during this process as well.

2) If I disconnect the two electrical leads to the AFS the same process happens as stated above in #1.

3) If I jumper the two AFS electrical leads together the "Service Heater" and "AFS" LED's are on immediately and the blower never comes on.

4) The "Service Heater" illuminates and stays on right after the initial electronic startup sequence (rev#, etc.) and when the blower starts to spool up.

I guess my next question is what next? Since the AFS electronic leads go directly to the Control Board, is that the next part to replace?

Hello Pool Clown , I have pretty much the exact same problem described by the previous post except mine will ignite and run for about 1 minute then shutdown and show the Sevice Heater LED. I just replaced the AFS today but still no luck..........any advice?

Here is the latest.

After receiving several broken Igniters :x (they are delicate!), one finally arrived intact :-D . Installed it yesterday and wouldn't you know it didn't fix the problem. What a repair project this is turning out to be. :rant:

I still have all of the same syptoms, such as "Service Heater" & "AFS" led's. However I have discovered a new fault indication. I hadn't noticed it before because of physical location of the heater, but the Ignition Control Module (ICM) has an LED that blinks 3-times. I've looked in the manual and they don't give a chart for diagnosing the ICM. Anybody have any idea what the 3 flashes is trying to tell me?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to hear nothing has worked. Three flashes is an ignition lock out by the ign control box. Another possibility(if you are still getting the smell of gas), is that the blower may not be spinning up to speed all the way(AFS), or the gas valve is not opening all the way. If the air fuel mix is not right, you wont get any ignition.

It's definitely been a pain. On the up side, at least it's summer time.

I do believe I will have to find someone to work on it now though. Tired of replacing good parts.

Thanks again to Pool Clown & PS0303 for your assistance! It was greatly appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.