Is the Dye test the best way to detect a leak?

Jun 29, 2011
Dothan, Alabama
*Sigh* We just cleaned our pool, filled with water, got through the switch to SWG with flying colors, and of course I should have known that it wouldn't be THAT easy. Yesterday, I noticed we had lost some water. It isn't alot, but enough for my eye to notice. I have looked very closely at everything, and cannot find any place that looks like it is leaking. We are wanting to do the dye test, but wanted to see if that really worked. I know that the water has to be very still, both pumps off. I read that you drop a few drops of the dye on top of the water, and if there is a leak, that the dye will start to flow down towards the leak. Also, we still have the patch kit that came with the Intex pool last year, or should we spring for a better kit? Thanks for any help. I'm bound and determined to have a worry free, stress free pool season. :whip:

The dye test is very difficult to do effectively. Often you need to dive down and release the dye right next to the leak to be able to locate it. Further, even small amounts of water movement can throw off the results. Large leaks are the easiest to detect with the dye test, while small leaks are often very difficult to pinpoint. Usually searching for damp spots and tiny jets of water on the outside is more effective.

I don't see any jets of water, even on the ground I cannot tell if the ground is wet from dew or water, but I do see under the concrete blocks that our pump and SWG is sitting on, one of the blocks looks like it has retained water. I'm betting that is where it is. The liner looks a bit stretched in that small area. With that said, I still cannot tell if that is the culpret (s?). What would you suggest as far as patching. Should I patch that area and see if it works? I noticed loosing the water last night, filled the water back up, and I could already tell this morning. I'm scared it is going to tear larger, or already has. Even though, we have not been in the pool since seeing the water loss.

It looks like it would be a about a half of an inch a day. I got in there this afternoon, inspected all the seams, felt around with my feet trying to feel anything. The only thing I can possibly see is maybe a spot where my husband accidentally dropped a chlorine tab last year, and it made the bottom turn white. So, now on that white spot, it looks like a small blue rip, but I cannot tell if that is the seam I am feeling and seeing, or an actual rip. I think tonight when I get home, I may be able to put on some gloves and stick my hand underneath, since it is close to the edge and see if I feel any water, but since I don't see any water around the edges at all, I'm not wondering if it may be a small hole somewhere closer to the center. Or, is it at all possible that now with running the new SWG that I am losing water? I didn't notice this, until after we started running the SWG?

I would confirm you have a leak. Place a bucket of water on the pool steps pretty close (in height) to the pool surface and leave it there 24 hours. Mark them so you can confirm that the water in the bucket lowers MORE than the pool water. This will confirm you have a leak. Report back your findings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.