Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hello
Yes, it sounds crazy and perhaps is. But I ask other Miami forum members if anyone has used well water to fill up their pool? Will my chemicals go totally wack?

Thanks

1, Why do you want to use it? It cannot be as good for your pool as municipal water

2. To have any legitimate opinion, you would have to post test results so we could see what's in it, if anything.

3. Generally speaking, well water can cause unnecessary problems in your pool. If it is easy to avoid them by using municipal water, then that's your best bet.

in Miami, we are charged for water and sewer for all water consumed. So all gallons going into the pool gets double billed. By using well water, I avoid that. But, if the chemical damage may be worse, then I remain skeptical.

Many water companies will adjust your bill if you call them and tell them you are filling a swimming pool. They should be able to see your abnormal usage in a given month and not charge you the sewer portion for the pool fill. This seems pretty common on the boards, but YMMV.

I've never heard of a utility authority which would not compensate the sewage charge for filling a pool. Technically, it is unlawful for them to charge for services they have not provided, nor assess you for services you have not used. Call them and let them know what you are doing - they have already done this before for a *lot* of pools in Miami.

In Jacksonville they will not credit you the sewer bills. They want you to buy another meter and charge you for water usage. We have one that we uses for irrigation, pool, washing cars, etc. The cost of this meter was $600, however I heard that it is changed to $1200. Sounds expensive but it will pay back for itself.

I've heard several muni's preferring of dual-metering, and I can see the potential, but for me, there is an issue of charging a taxpayer for services not provided. I wonder what the local small-claims court would have to say if someone took them to task for it?

The compensating for sewer charges is for limited circumstances (e.g., a complete fill of the pool) and only once/twice a year. I think what the OP is referring to is when you "top off" the pool for evaporation.

I'm in MIA too, and I had the same thought a few weeks ago. If I get around to putting sprinklers, I'd do it on a well. It's "free" water, right? It's just not potable/drinkable, but it can be used for grass and other outside uses, no? So, if it has too much in terms of metals (iron) etc, it may not be quite right for pool. High contaminants should not be an issue other than increased CL consumption.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ohm_Boy said:
I've never heard of a utility authority which would not compensate the sewage charge for filling a pool. Technically, it is unlawful for them to charge for services they have not provided, nor assess you for services you have not used. Call them and let them know what you are doing - they have already done this before for a *lot* of pools in Miami.

Pasco County does not compensate. I called them to inform that I was going to fill a pool and was told that I would be charged anyway.

Pasco County does not compensate. I called them to inform that I was going to fill a pool and was told that I would be charged anyway.
I'll be quick to point out that i _AM_ an idiot, but I don't see how that is legal. I concede though, that I was certainly wrong, and there seem to be many places that don't compensate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.