Long time - Starting Over

May 30, 2011
Orlando, Fl
Hey i just used my TF-100 and i got the results can you give me some direction?

FC 25
CC 1
TC 26
PH 8.2
T/A 220
CH 150
CYA 0

I have this white stuff kinda floating on the top of the water... I'm Guessing my CYA is the culprit right?

Well, we need a little more info like:
Did you just open? What have you added to the pool? How are you chlorinating? Anything with a little more background.

Just looking at your numbers ... all of them seem off a bit and currently you are at risk of starting to scale.

Have you played with http://www.poolcalculator.com before?

Need to add CYA to protect the FC.
Need to get your pH down.
Since you are showing CC ... need to start the Shock Process ... if you are not already given the high FC level

That is the start. After you pass the shocking process, then you can raise the CH and work to lower the TA (you sure you did not switch those numbers?)

You have any specific questions/concerns?

Oh i started from a green mosquito infested pool about 9-10 days ago... I have Liquid chlorine 10% available in 2.5 gallon jugs. I have 4 available right now. I was in shock mode i believed, I have played with pool calc it seems like i need 8lbs of stabilizer to get my CYA up over 30... I plan to get that tomorrow. The problem has been i have been needing to clean out my cartridge filter about every 2 hours. It seems like i can now let it run 7 to 8 hours and only raise my psi 2-4.

If i pour in stabilizer your not supposed to "Clean" your filter for a week so i've been waiting on getting it so i don't waste it.

With no CYA, a lot of your FC is being burned off by the sun instead of fighting the algae unfortunately. Might want to really make sure the FC is up there at night so you know it is helping.

Is it liquid or powder CYA? If liquid, I am wondering if you can clean the filter as I think it disperses faster (although someone should confirm).

From you CYA comment in the first post, I was curious if you had already added some.

What size filter do you have? I am not too familiar with cartridges, but I did not realize they needed cleaned so often when fighting algae (although I guess backwashes happen often too) ... there is your motivation to prevent your pool from turning green in the future. :-D

Oh and I overlooked the fact that your FC was so high with regard to the pH ... the pH test is not valid for FC above 10, so it may not actually be that high. If it drops below 10, then test the pH to make sure you do not need to add acid ... did you do that before starting to shock?

Okay, let's simplify this thread just a little....

1. Disregard your pH test in the presence of high chlorine.

2. Since you have already started, I would complete the shock process without CYA. It will take SOME of your FC but not enough to offset the extra hassle of getting it in there.

3. Dose your pool with FC when the sun is off the pool. i.e. VERY early AM, Late afternoon and, best of all, during dark. This will maximize the use of FC killing algae and minimize the FC loss to the sun without CYA.

4. Continue and complete the shock process by following the article in Pool School. Stay at it and keep the faith. YOur pool will be crystal clear soon.

The foam is very likely the FC oxidizing some additive that was once in the pool. FC should be all you need to take care of it.

FC of 26ppm is too high for a pool with no CYA....keep your FC around 10-12ppm 24/7

The time between needing to clean the filter will continue to increase as you get rid of more and more junk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.