Pool Hydration

niece04

In The Industry
Mar 21, 2008
Venice, FL
We have a small pool route - about 114 pools. Two of our pools that we acquired from someone else have a dark black ring which is in the steps along the tile line and along the top of the walls - again where the tile meets the plaster. We were told that it is called "hydration". Would anyone please explain what this is. Will any kind of "metal out" take care of it? I tried a vitamin C tablet today but it didn't work.

Niece, welcome to TFP!! Try some pH up powder (soda ash) or some baking soda on a green kitchen scrubbie - use a little of the powder at a time and wet it enough to be a paste -- then use a bit of 'elbow grease'' and the line goes 'bye- bye' 8) It's an 'old-school' trick but it works! --Just be careful of the pH and alk (normally it's not too much of a problem, but sometimes you use so much that it can effect those #s. )

Again, welcome here and congrats on joining!!! If you need the help of an 'old hand' at things, just ask :wink: 8)

[edit] Sorry (!) I just reread this and saw that you were asking not only for the solution, but also the cause :oops: The usual cause is body oils and sunscreen collecting at the waterline - having pool users rinse off before entering the pool does a lot to minimize this! Regardless, the method above works to take the 'scumline' away :)

Also, using a Scumbug or Scumball in the skimmer (or pool) or an enzyme treatment weekly (or both) can help prevent the line from forming in the first place.

I guess I should have described the line a little better. It is actually about 2-3 inches wide and is located on the plaster. It is only where the tile meets the plaster along the 3 steps and along the perimeter of the pool - again where the tile meets the plaster. It is underwater.

Thanks for your help. We are stumped.

Denise

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.