rust on wall

Mar 21, 2012
NC
Okay, and I know this is a lot of judgement and such, but I have bought an above ground pool, and honestly went as cheap as I could get and the pool has some rust. My plan is to reinforce the wall at the bottom, where the rust is, and coat it with bedliner before I bury it. How much rust is too much rust and what kind of problems can I really run into? I thought I was in the clear and it was manageable until I read on here about an aneurysm. It isnt so bad that the wall is structurally unsound (in my opinion), but it is rusted and cracked at some spots at the bottom. 1' of the pool is going to be buried in the ground, and the rest surrounded by a deck, which is why cosmetics were not an issue. Some of the bottom rails are rusted too, which I am getting replacements for, but I dont want to the pool to just collapse because I was wrong in my judgement.

You'll probably be fine with the reinforcement, also the foot recessed underground will be supported by the backfill. To help treat the rust I've used 2 products. Os-Phos, its a mixture with phosphuric acid and turns rust into metal, it used on cars and gas tanks. The other is rustoleum cold galvenizing zinc compound. Label says its 97% zinc, sprays on, leaves a primer gray finish, bonds good to rust. I've been repainting my frame with ""valspar anti-rust armour oil based enamel gloss" and have been happy with the outcome.
Years ago I painted my off-road chevy with bedliner, it did a great job. I got sideswiped by a cadillac, their paint was rubbed all across the side of my truck, scrubbed right off at the carwash. It took months to sell, everyone was afraid of the paint job!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.