Help re balancing pool chemistry

Apr 23, 2011
Pensacola, Florida
The weather has gotten warm and the pool is now up to 80 degrees. We keep the pool open all year even though we don't use it in the cool months. We've had a good bit of rain and now the chemistry, which stayed perfect all winter, has gotten out of whack. The pool is in direct sun from about 9AM until sundown. Here are the current readings.

FC 1 (Added chlorine after this test)
TC 1
pH 8.2 (high) up from a constant winter reading of 7.8
TA 110 (high) up from a constant winter reading of 80
CH 140 dropped due to rainfall
CYA 40 down from 50 last month

The pool seems to be using a good bit of chlorine so I'm assuming that's because the CYA is low since it is in direct sunlight. I also need to bring down the pH and TA. What sequence should I follow to correct these numbers?
Can trichlor pucks be used to bring up the cya.

Hey jimcam22

How does your water look? Have you tested your CC level?

jimcam22 said:
FC 1 (Added chlorine after this test)
How much did you raise it?

jimcam22 said:
pH 8.2 (high) up from a constant winter reading of 7.8
That is high. I would lower to 7.4.

jimcam22 said:
TA 110 (high) up from a constant winter reading of 80
That is not too bad, lower your ph a few times when it rises will probably fix the TA. Do you have an autofill and what is your fill water TA?

jimcam22 said:
CYA 40 down from 50 last month
Not to bad, but it sounds like you have had better luck with higher CYA. If you are loosing more than 3-4 ppm during the day it might make sense to bump it back up to 50.

jimcam22 said:
I also need to bring down the pH and TA.
Definetly bring down the ph, but like I mentioned above, you may find that doing a couple of cycles brings your TA down "naturally".
jimcam22 said:
What sequence should I follow to correct these numbers?
ph first, then 1/2 hour later, up the FC. CYA can be done in parallel.
jimcam22 said:
Can trichlor pucks be used to bring up the cya.
Yes, and they will also (slowly) lower ph. I think you know this, but be careful how much you use since once CYA is high you have to drain and refill. Your ph is high enough that you should lower it with MA and not wait for the trichlor to do it.

Thanks for the quick answer. I thought the pH should be my main concern but thought I would check. I'll work on lowering it right away with MA. My CC is 0 and the water is clear and sparkling. I brought the FC up to 3 so I can test it tomorrow and see how much burned off today. Then I'll tackle the cya if needed.

All is well with the pool chemistry. I brought the pH down to 7.8. Then we had three days of rain. The TA is down to 90.
The cya is at 30 but the chlorine does not seem to be burning off to fast. I think I had chlorine that had deteriorated over the winter and I just thought it was burning off. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.