Pre-installation advice appreciated

Aug 16, 2010
Saint Cloud, MN
I've had a free 15'x42" Easy Set that finally blew the impeller of the filter and slowly leaks air so I'm ordering a new 18'x52" UltraFrame with sand filter to install. I'm currently stripping the sod and starting to level (attached pic) my 19' circle.
My question is when rotating my 2x6 there are spots that are a half to one inch deep divot or bowl shape depressions. Do I need to dig the whole area down to that lowest point or will they be fine? Can sand/dirt/fill be added and pushed around with the 2x6 to fill these areas prior to installing the pool? If filled with sand/dirt should a compactor be used to help lower risk of the pool settling?

I don't have the pool in possession yet so I have no manuf. instructions but what is next? A pad (Gorilla) or foam (pink/blue) then tarp on top of that before the pool is set?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Jason

Attachments

• level.jpg
    level.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 372
The proper way is level the whole site to within 1 inch, I know it's work but we've all been there man.
Now, others will tell you that as long as you get the perimiter level, and you have no crowns in the site, that you'll be good. I'm not saying that though, my recommendation is use the time your waiting for the pool to get the site properly leveled. Looking at your picture, I don't see a level for your 2X6 board - your using a good 4' level on the board, correct?
You should put a stake in the centre of your pool - at the elevation you want the base, and then tack your 2X6 to the stake and then proceed to swing the board around your pool and level as you go. Levelling the pool is the most important step.

There's alot of videos on pool installation, try checking out some of those to see full install methods for your pool.

Thanks for the replies guys.

cramar - Yes I do have a 4' level duct taped to the board. The pic was taken just after the board was tacked to my stake but before I added the level. I had a heck of a time convincing my better half that I needed to keep going deeper with the stake to get level (see the gap at the perimeter). I know it was going to be a lot of work. I think she is just wanting to get it installed ASAP!

I appreciate this forum and it's wealth of information and for all the contributors. Very valuable for a newcomer who wants to get serious about pool care.

Thanks again!
Jason

Edit: fixed typo and language

Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 6" long 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle so that when it swings around it forms a 20' circle.
4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a Heavy Duty tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
Mike

mcoonan said:
Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 6" long 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle so that when it swings around it forms a 20' circle.
4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a Heavy Duty tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
Mike

I think I found this while searching and that's where I based what I'm doing off of. I just couldn't find it back again when trying to remember what people used for underneath the pool.
I see you are also in MN, do you leave your pool up in the Winter? If so, what steps do you take to winterize the pool, cover, etc?

Thanks,
Jason

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mcoonan said:
linen said:
Yeah another minnesotan on tfp :wave: We are taking over :rockon:
When you became a MS I thought we had taken control! :whoot: With you as our Leader :whip:
:wink: be very quiet about this :silent:...and my infiltration has been fruitful as they have not realized yet how north we are... we must be patient and learn their ways since they have strange customs, some even leave their pools open for more than 3 months :scratch:...we a getting closer to control :pirat: :silent:

linen said:
mcoonan said:
linen said:
Yeah another minnesotan on tfp :wave: We are taking over :rockon:
When you became a MS I thought we had taken control! :whoot: With you as our Leader :whip:
:wink: be very quiet about this :silent:...and my infiltration has been fruitful as they have not realized yet how north we are... we must be patient and learn their ways since they have strange customs, some even leave their pools open for more than 3 months :scratch:...we a getting closer to control :pirat: :silent:
The way the weather is going this year, we also might get an extra month! Working on rebuilding my pump this afternoon!

Thanks for the pic, Jason. I'm in the process of shoveling out a 20' circle of crabgrass while on vacation this week. I never realized how tough that stuff really is until I had to take out 2-3 inches of it over most of the area. I've been averaging ¼ of the circle per day, amongst other projects. I figured it's easier to break it down into manageable pieces rather than make myself so sore I couldn't do anything the next day trying to do it all at once.

Time to get cracking on it again!

Big_kid said:
Thanks for the pic, Jason. I'm in the process of shoveling out a 20' circle of crabgrass while on vacation this week. I never realized how tough that stuff really is until I had to take out 2-3 inches of it over most of the area. I've been averaging ¼ of the circle per day, amongst other projects. I figured it's easier to break it down into manageable pieces rather than make myself so sore I couldn't do anything the next day trying to do it all at once.

Time to get cracking on it again!

I found that sharpening my shovel blade with my grinder helped tremendously in cutting through the sod and skimming off the layers of dirt. Just be careful as I was careless in picking up my shovel and attempted to cut off my ring finger at the first knuckle! :cry:

OUCH! Sorry to read about that!
I did sharpen the shovel beforehand and I know it made a difference. I should go back out there and get it smoother, the ground still has high & low spots. The level shows it all level, but my 2x4 would go up & down on the pivot stake. I got it to where it's not jumping anymore as I drag it in a circle, but it's still not smooth. Home Depot & a few bags of play sand is starting to look good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.