1971 In-ground, Forgotten no more.......

I recently purchased a house with an old in-ground that has been closed up and forgotten about for a few years. I'm bringing it back to life on a budget, so there's going to be lot's of sweat equity going into this one. Follow along if you would like. Here's the plan :

Remove old wood deck and what's left of the concrete pool decking. (done)
Bring bonding up to code. (none now)
Move equipment back about 8 feet. and re-plumb
Install concrete paver decking 6' out around 3 sides and 16' off the shallow end with a fire pit.
Install pool fence
Run new electrical in conduit out to the equipment pad
Install new timer, sub-panel, timer, and convenience outlet at the pad
Un-swamp the swamp
Light fire, Open beer, Watch the sunset. :cheers:

Here's where I'm starting, I'll post new pics as I go.

Wow, you've got your work cut out for you but the potential looks incredible as well. I love seeing projects like this, where people take neglected pools/landscaping and make them shine.
Personally I'd focus on getting the water straightened out and then take your time and plan out the landscaping and decking/patio.

Good luck!

I plan on keeping this one for quite a while. It still needs a lot of work inside too, but the pool is priority 1 right now. Insurance co. wants a fence fast, but I refuse to do and excavating next to a brand new fence. So that has dictated my order of operations here. Once I get all the ground work, plumbing and electrical done, I will start shocking the pool while laying the pavers. I busted my butt the last two weekends getting it down to a clean slate, so this weekend I have a mini excavator coming so I can get the ground prepped for the pavers and do a little grading around the area to help with the drainage.

I'm excited for you. I'm starting a redo as well in a week.

I used to live in Los Angeles and your pool reminds me of the La Brea tar pits. I think I would drain and refill instead of shock. There might be a Buick in there.

I love crazy pics - you should pose the family laying out and pool partying in front of it while it looks that way :lol:

Ok, time for an update. Last weekend I was able to tear out all of the remaining pool deck and the wooden deck next to it. So it's down to a clean slate. This past weekend I rented a machine and excavated down about 10 inches around the perimeter of the pool where my planned paver installation is going to be. I also trenched for a drain pipe around the perimeter to capture the rain run off and discharge it downhill past the house. The old arrangement was pitched toward the house and I can see where the foundation wall on that side was usually wet. So this and some grading and drainage near the house should hopefully solve the situation.
I'll get some of the excavation shots up later this week. I forgot to take them before leaving on Saturday.

I guess this is the part where it gets worse before it gets better. :hammer:

I have all the excavating done and have made quite the mess. The paver are is nice and lever with a slight pitch away from the pool. Next is to install all my drainage piping that was delivered yesterday. Then I want to get the gravel base down, run a string line to establish where the finished grade will be, then hide all the dirt I dug up.

Here's what It looks like now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have quite the project infront of you but I am sure it will be well worth all the hard work ahead! I love watching these and seeing the transformation take place. It looks like you have a great location and you are heading in the right direction!! Keep us updated!!

I have not pressure tested them, but I do know I'm not loosing any water. I do plan on getting the equipment running to make sure everything is OK before running before setting the pavers. I figured the paver work will be a good time to start shocking the pool since I'll be there working next to it anyway I can keep an eye on my chlorine levels

Moving along here.....

I only have one day to work on things this weekend, but I did manage to get all the pipe for my perimeter drain in place and pitched properly. I have to pull it one more time and put the filter sock on it, but at least there will be no more digging involved. :mrgreen: With all this dry weather and the clay here I think it was easier breaking up the concrete than digging in this stuff.

Thanks all.

I think I'm going to return the sleeve and pick up some fabric instead so I can line the trench before the clean stone goes in.

Have no fear I will be turning the pipe before I cover anything up. That was just laid in place so I could get the bottom of the trench right and everything cut to length.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.