Another air leak question

mxdad777

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2012
Northern California
I used the search feature and found lots of great info on leaks, but not what I was looking for. Anyway, I recently installed a new pump and now I have a few air bubbles in my pool coming from the return lines. (I didn't have any before I changed out the pump). After I installed the pump, I checked everything out and don't recall seeing any air bubbles in the water. I did have a small leak on the discharge side of the pump so I fixed it. While fixing the leak I moved the pump a little and I thought I heard a PVC fitting crack loose. Everything looked fine though so I proceeded on. After turning the pump back on I checked and had no leaks where I thought the pipe came loose so I thought I was home free. But, then I noticed the air bubbles in the pool. So my question is.....Can you have an air leak on the suction side of the pump and not have a water leak? Everything in and around the pad is bone dry.

Absolutely possible to have an air leak without a water leak. Sometimes water will squirt very briefly from the leak location when you shut the pump off.

Do you have any air at all in the strainer basket of your pump?

Start with the simple stuff: Are the drain plugs and strainer basket lid on your pump tight and the associated O-rings present and well lubricated with pool lube.

Did you use pipe dope or teflon tape on the threaded inlet PVC adapter?

Is the water level in the pool at or above the mark on the skimmer, is the water in the skimmer at a steady level with no vortex or "slurping" noises and does the skimmer weir move freely?

JohnT said:
Do you have any air at all in the strainer basket of your pump?
Yes
Start with the simple stuff: Are the drain plugs and strainer basket lid on your pump tight and the associated O-rings present and well lubricated with pool lube.
Yes, I've checked and tightened numerous times just to be sure
Did you use pipe dope or teflon tape on the threaded inlet PVC adapter?
Teflon Tape
Is the water level in the pool at or above the mark on the skimmer, is the water in the skimmer at a steady level with no vortex or "slurping" noises and does the skimmer weir move freely?
Water level is correct and skimmer is working great

The leak I had to fix was on the outlet side of the pump (PVC male adapter to pump). I used teflon tape there too. I took off the fitting, cleaned off the teflon tape and applied pipe dope and re-installed. No leaks now. Maybe the teflon tape on the male adapter on the intake side is leaking too, I just can't see it because I was looking for water drips. I think I'll remove the fitting and apply pipe dope to it too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.