keeping steps clean??

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
we have ig 8' white steps that keep fine silt dirt on them. the polaris 280 does not do steps i guess.
i had the same problem with the last pool we had (same kind of steps, same cleaner)
we have a return jet on each side of the steps.
Has anyone had any success positioning these jets in a fashion that cuts down on the step dirt?
Maybe circulate the water in and out or use the jets as a barrier to keep stuff out of the step region.
Any different jet inserts make a difference.

or just brush the steps everyday?

My cleaner doesn't do steps, either. I've had a little success by directing the jets and I find it helps but doesn't cure. I brush the steps every other day and they stay okay but only okay.

I've got the exact same situation, including the same cleaner accept my jets are not near the step.

Any chance there is new construction going on around you?

We live in a new section of our neighborhood and there are still homes going up around us which seems to keep dirt in the air - street sweepers, etd.

I have noticed though that th further the construction moves from us, the less of that silt I find on the swim out and steps. I hope that when the construction is done, the dirt will be gone.

Cal,

I had.... had the same issue. Come to find out that it was my flagstone settling in. To fix the problem, I lightly sanded the stones (coping) and then applied a sealer to them. They no longer have that gritty feeling and none of the junk is getting in my pool now. I did a thorough vacuuming after I had finished the sealer. Hope that helps.

divnkd101 said:
Cal,

I had.... had the same issue. Come to find out that it was my flagstone settling in. To fix the problem, I lightly sanded the stones (coping) and then applied a sealer to them. They no longer have that gritty feeling and none of the junk is getting in my pool now. I did a thorough vacuuming after I had finished the sealer. Hope that helps.

divnkd101 ,
This is exactly my problem too, the flagstone feels gritty and when i hose it off, i can see that red dust going into the pool, i'm sure the salt water doesnt help it..... what grit did you use to sand and what sealer did you use?
Thanks,

I went to Lowes and bought a bag full of the foam sanding blocks. I did just a real light sanding just to clear any loose grit off of the top. Hosed it down when finished, let it dry. Then I applied "Diamond Bright" Deck Sealer with my 2 gallon bug sprayer. I direct you to THIS POST for details of the sealer. If you need anything else, let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same deal here

I am in the Valley Forge area in an established community. My steps and swim out accumulate fine dirt and need to be brushed every other day or so to keep the dirt off. As someone else pointed out, it does give you a reason to be out by the pool.

I would add that you might want to try using "skimmer socks" if you arent already. I was amazed at how much fine dirt I am now trapping at my skimmers. I'm sure there are several brands available. The ones I found are made by BioGuard. They are listed at the bottom of this link. Skim Mor

brittmer said:
My steps get dirty also but not nearly as bad ever since I started adding DE to my sand filter. This really helps to pick up the fine dirt and silt.

Good reminder. My Pentair Cartridge manual says to add 3lbs DE to enhance filtration. The only problem is I can only find it in 25lb quantities. That much would last me for years.

Warning!!!!

Please don't go and dump 3# of DE into a sand filter!!! While DE is a great addition, most folks find that they need less than a cup!

Add the DE slowly through the skimmer, a little at a time, over the course of (several hours, maybe?) and when you have achieved a 1psi rise in your filter, STOP! you have added enough! When you backwash, you will have to add the DE again.

I was also under the impression that DE clogged cartridge filters and should not be used??

25 lbs does seem like a waste, but it doesn't cost much. Leslies web site lists 25 lbs for $14. As long as you have somewhere to put it why not splurge. I have heard stories of 10 lb boxes but I never found anyone who sells them.

The Mermaid Queen said:
Warning!!!!

Please don't go and dump 3# of DE into a sand filter!!! While DE is a great addition, most folks find that they need less than a cup!

Add the DE slowly through the skimmer, a little at a time, over the course of (several hours, maybe?) and when you have achieved a 1psi rise in your filter, STOP! you have added enough! When you backwash, you will have to add the DE again.

I was also under the impression that DE clogged cartridge filters and should not be used??

Yep never said to add 3# to a sand filter.

Here is a snip from page 4 of the Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filters Owner's Manual. These are Pentair's recommendations. I dont know if their cartridges are unique as compared to other mfr or not.

decart.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.