3800 ppm...Leave it or drain it?

mxdad777

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2012
Northern California
I installed a new Hayward salt system on my pool last week and must have miscalculated the amount of salt to add. In any case, my salt sensor is telling me that my salt level is 3,800 ppm. Should I just leave it and let it come down over time, or should I drain some of the water and add fresh water to bring the level down?

3400 is the recomended high limit, but the readings on the panel are notoriously inaccurate. Generally it's better to have the level on the high side than low, so 3800 should be fine.

I had the water tested at a local pool supply store and they got the same reading, 3800. My biggest concern is having the pool taste like salt. I've had some people tell me that anything over 3000 and you start tasting the saltiness in the water. Those of you that have salt water pools, what's your experience?

My experience has been that the Goldline units are very accurate displaying salt levels. Mine matches my drop kit very closely. However, not all SWGs are accurate.

Anyway, the high salt level is not a problem unless the unit shuts off due to high salt. The limit is actually not the salt level but the amps. If the unit exceeds 8 amps, it will shut down with a high salt warning. At that point, you will probably need to dilute the salt level. But if the unit operates without shutting down, then no harm.

You can't taste salt at 3800. Your slightly above contact solution level. We don't tell people we have salt till afterwards to see there reaction! Most people no nothing about salt water pools, that is the one's that don't own them! My mother-in-law even argued with me until I showed her the salt! The most common reaction we hear is "The water is so soft, don't feel like I need to shower after we get out"! I will never go back to the old school way again! At 3800 as long as your producing CL I would leave it. Once the season gets in full swing with splash out and backwashing that will come down.

maxepr1 said:
You can't taste salt at 3800. Your slightly above contact solution level. We don't tell people we have salt till afterwards to see there reaction! Most people no nothing about salt water pools, that is the one's that don't own them! My mother-in-law even argued with me until I showed her the salt! The most common reaction we hear is "The water is so soft, don't feel like I need to shower after we get out"! I will never go back to the old school way again! At 3800 as long as your producing CL I would leave it. Once the season gets in full swing with splash out and backwashing that will come down.

I can taste the salt in my pool and it's at 3300 ppm. But it barely noticable and it's not a problem.

I agree with the others that if your SWG is producing chlorine I would leave it alone. In fact, a decent rain could bring it down to below 3000. That's happened to me twice this spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.