How level is level ground?

Mar 25, 2012
We are beginning the installation process of a used above ground pool. The grass has been removed, and the ground is sort of level. My husband thought that it would be best to put the pavers in then level the ground to the pavers. The pavers are all leveled. When a board is laid across the pavers, you can see high and low arears in the ground in the middle of the pool area. I think he should work on getting the ground more level. He tells me that when the sand is laid and leveled it will take care of all the divots. Our ground is clay and very hard to work with. What is your opionion.

I did the same thing, after removing about 80 yards of soil, I set the pavers useing a water level referenced off of the first paver. I then found that I was low in some areas of the circle and high in others, I lowered all of the high areas level to the pavers and just let the sand fill the low spots. One other thing I did was to lay pavers in a full circle so that all of the botom rails were on a continous ring of pavers. This was probably unnecessary, but the previous frame set pool settled after the first year and I lived with the pool out of level untill I took it down to install the new pool last month.

Good Luck!

Well, it's definitely not according to AGP manufacturer install instructions that I've seen, so warranty would be compromised.
Traditional installs see the pavers put into the ground and "sand" added within the perimeter - note that the pool rails are on the ground, not on the "sand". Also note that "sand" is a generic term and that 100% real sand shouldn't be used as it will shift.
If real sand was used with this method I'd be concerned as it will likely erode over time from underneath the rails.

My property has a high ratio of clay and I still levelled the entire site and sunk the pavers into the ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.