PVC Ladder advice

LS1M

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, TX
This year I built a PVC ladder & attached it to a deck:
pvcladder.jpg

It's very sturdy, but I need something to make the rungs less slippery, and what can I do to "close" the ladder so a toddler doesn't climb up & get into the pool?

Thanks
-Mark

Skate board grip tape, it comes in colors and prints. Check for a local skate shop or E-bay. Grainger or other industrial supply houses stock grip tape, also check flooring suppliers as black grip tape is sold for stair treads. The stuff I am thinking of looks like coarse sand paper.

PS I wish I had thought of your ladder when the one for my previous frame-set pool, I probably even had the scrap tubing!!! :(

Hi, Your ladder is wonderful! I wonder, would you mind posting a couple more pictures? Maybe the top rail and the part inside the pool? I have been looking for a pool entry system that would be more sturdy than the ones that come with the pools. Oh my word, the prices are exorbitant! I believe your ladder is just the ticket! Thank you.

Just brainstorming here but, for "closing" the ladder . . . In keeping with the pvc look, a frame made of pvc, with vertical pieces similar to your horizontal steps, covered with plexiglass (HD has it for cheap) screwed to the frame to cover the vertical pieces. This could be attached to the ladder with hinges (I'm thinking a pin type hinge like on a chainlink gate) on one side and a hasp and lock on the other. This would give the continuity of the pvc and little feet wouldn't be able to get a toe hold on the ladder rungs. What do you think?

Very nice. May try to do something like this for my ring pool. We all have short legs and I have a almost 3 y/o that is getting pretty heavy to lift up and pass off. Plus he is all about let me do it now. I think I would make mine so I could just take it in and out like a normal ladder though. I am making a few other things with pvc soon like a holder for my cover and a towel tree and my favourite a shower and foot washer. May even try and make the pool cooler that everyone is making.

LS1M, Thank you for the quick reply / link. I also appreciate the detail about pvc diameter and showing how the deck on top was bolted all the way thru the pvc. The skate board tape is a smart mod. Your filter and vac system are to envied. You put in a lot of effort and it shows. Thanks for sharing.

I am so looking forward to setting up a pool this year. We have a 16' quick set pool that we used last year and plan to graduate (Lord willing) to a
larger ultra frame this year. It's already hot here in N. FL

I wasn't suggesting rope to stop people from going up, I was suggesting it as a non-slip covering for the rungs to keep people from going down when they don't mean to. I think it'd be cooler and less abrasive than non-skid strips. YMMV.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, OK that makes more sense (the rope). Duh... the skateboard grip tape works really well. I was worried about it being too hot & burning our feet coming out of the pool, but since our feet our wet it hasn't been a problem. But, it's also not 99 degrees outside yet...

I notice there is a hole in the middle of the middle rung on your ladder. What if you were to drill holes in the center of each rung. You could than cut a piece of plexi glass or any other readily available material and drill holes that align with the holes in the ladder. Throw a few wing nuts and bolts in there and voila.

Great idea on building the ladder, I will bookmark this thread for sure.

As for keeping the lil ones off the ladder:

Take some white canvas or heavy vinyl and fasten it to one side of your ladder, and put snaps on the other side, make it tight enough that you would have to put some sortof effort into closeing it, that way the little ones couldn't get it off.

That would be rather simple and cheap, plus it would look pretty good.

You could put snaps on both sides or screw the one side and snap the other.

Any hobby shop should have everything you need to do it that way.

Even a piece of canvas or vinyl with eyelets on both sides and bungi cords in the back would work pretty well.

Any boat store and prehaps even Wally World should have the non-slip tape for the rungs.

Good luck

Tada!

tada.jpg

I put in four little eye-hooks, bought a piece of plexiglass, and cut slits in it where the eye-hooks go, and "closed" the ladder by using those spring-loaded clippy things (technical term...)

Try to climb that, little cute grand-baby!
:)

-Mark

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.