Hydro-Tools Skimmer Trouble

LS1M

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, TX
I installed a Hydro-Tools skimmer this year:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032J ... 00_details

the "stainless steel" screws are all rusty:
rusty.jpg

You can't see very well from the picture, but the rust is on all the screws, whether they're submerged or not. On the liner, there's a stream of rust where the water has run out (after a rain, the skimmer is now the lowest opening so that's where the water coms out). Has anyone had this problem before, or advice on what I can do about it?

Thanks
-Mark

not sure if they were the correct ones but here is what I ordered -
sku# 0178538 #10-12 x 5/8" Phillips Pan Head Sheet Metal Screw Type A, 316 Stainless Steel
Sku# 0178425 #10-12 x 1" Phillips Flat Head Sheet Metal Screw Type A, 316 Stainless Steel

I am in the same boat as the other posters in that I just purchased this skimmer but have yet to install it.
I followed racerboy 6996's link to the "fastenal" site and wondered whether you had received your order yet and whether they are looking to be suitable alternatives?

Thanks.

The screws that I took out have a type "b" tip, not type "A":
ssscrew.jpg

I couldn't find a 316 stainless type B flat-head 1" screw at Fastenal. All they had was type 18-8, which I think is 304, and probably what I already have.

It might not make a difference for you, but mine already has b-style grooves cut. The a-type has a different thread pitch, so it doesn't really work the same, so I can't use them. The screws make their own threads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gasczar -
I received the screws 2 days after ordering. I just tried them in the skimmer & they appear to fit perfect.
It may be because I never installed the screws that were shipped with the skimmer.

Unfortunately now I am doubting using the skimmer with my particular setup.
I am installing the rectangular intex pool & the side walls stay bowed in until the water is almost up to the seem line.
I know with these skimmers they have to be installed right below the seem on our pools.

I think this will make the water level low enough that the sidewalls bow in.

That's a machine screw. The ones that come with the skimmer are sheet-metal. I couldn't find a type-B-tip sheet-metal screw in 316 at that site either :(
I've got rust spots all over my liner. I took out the offending, rusty scew, but I'm wondering if it's the (relatively minor) rust on my skimmer screws, or could rust spots come from the copper electrodes on my Intex SWG?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.