CPSC36 display question

masand

May 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Take a look at my display below. With output set to 90%, the status bar (circled) only shows 1 bar. I can't remember if the bars increase with output; is this a normal display? Even at 100%, my SWG doesn't seem to keep up with demand like it did last summer when I installed it. Admittedly, I'm still tuning the water and haven't officially opened the pool.

FC - 5 (brought up from 0 with bleach)
TA - 50
Ph - 7.5
CYA - 40

I plan to add CYA to bring it up a bit (80). Wanted to run the SWG for a week of so and see where TA and Ph fall out after that.

Attachments

• IMG00040-20120401-1347.jpg
    IMG00040-20120401-1347.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 163
Thanks for the quick reply Jason.

Water temp is 70 but SWG indicates 79.
Also, salt is 3600 with test strips, SWG indicates 2600.

I had a similar discrepancy between SWG readings and actual last year as well but didn't worry too much about it since everything was working properly.

Are you familar with the Compupool display? Are you suggesting that the "90%" indicates my selection and the status bar indicates actual production?

I would have thought 70 is warm enough for the SWG to produce at full but I am somewhat new to all this.

Hum, confusing. I read the display as saying 90% in numbers but with a bar that shows 10%. That is consistent with a water temperature in the low 50s. It doesn't make any sense if the actual water temperature is in the 70s.

The next step is to do a visual inspection of the cell plates in the SWG cell. Calcium accumulating on the cell plates could possibly cause something like this. Look for any white chalky accumulations on the cell plates. If clean they will be either silver or black and smooth. If there is calcium it should be fairly obvious.

It the bar should match up with the setting (90%) bar should be 90% across the display. Any indicator lights lit in the lower portion of the control panel? It might be limiting output, is the low salt indicator lit? I think when it switches polarity it does a new salt level check. I think it changes polarity about every 12 hours of run time.

All indicator lights are normal. Salt verify does occur when polarity switches (and at startup) and shows 2600. I know that's lower than mfg specs. I did have a low salt light a few weeks ago and indicating <2500 on SWG but added salt to bring it up. Salt test strips read 3600 now (after adding salt).

Plates look good (as they should, I've only been running this cell since last July).

I'll call the mfg but thought I'd check with you guys first in case I was missing something.

Now I just got back from PS with stabilizer and found my pump inop, so onto another problem in the meantime.

Thanks guys.

let us know what the manu says? i am seriouly considering one of these and am interested to see what customer service is like?
you would think the bar's would match the 90%? maybe the cold is affecting it like they mentioned earlier?

I'm not sure but I think the system is limiting it's out put due to the perceived low salt. Custmer service have been very helpful in the past when I called with install questions.
They may have you clear the salt table.

I currently have the same problem with mine. I just talked to Compupool CS and they are sending me the part to fix it. Since I'm in my 3rd year of the pro rata warranty it wasn't a free fix but it's pretty cheap. Call 888-989-7258 and they should be able to help.

I was out of town last week and didn't get a chance to call mfg until today so let me give a quick update:

As Jason surmised, the 90% in my photo above represents the user-selected setting and the status bar(s) represent actual output. According to the support guy, the two should match although he said low water temps may cause low output. Nothing you guys didn't already say but its nice to get mfg verification (product manual isn't very detailed).

In my case, he's suspecting LCD/PCB board and is sending a new one (warranty). Will update after install but I also think this will fix the problem based on jjrick's comment and this thread, which I found in the meantime: http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-compupool-swg-output-lcd-indications-t37278.html?hilit=compupool

Seems to be a recurring problem, although there seem to be a lot of people running this system that haven't had this issue so I guess time will tell. BTW, customer service was great for me so far. Phone was answered by a live person, he quickly t/s the problem without asking stupid questions like, "do you have it plugged in?", etc.

Part is supposed to have shipped today for arrival later this week, including return FedEx label for returning the bad board. I did need to supply cc #, which will not be charged unless I don't return the bad one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I recently encountered the same problem with my CPSC36 that I installed three months ago. Called CS and they are sending me a new circuit board. I hope this is not going to be a persistant problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.