Cloudy water and sediment with Zeosand

Apr 1, 2012
I changed my sand to zeosand last fall and I am still having problems with cloudy water and sediment. I was told that there would be some clouding from the Zeosand initially, but it would clear up. If I shut the pump off for a day or two, the water clears up and you can see a layer of sediment on the bottom of the pool. I have vacuumed this sediment to waste about 8-9 times and it still keeps returning.

When you vaccum, try vaccuming the sediment to waist and get rid of it. How much did you backwash? I just set up a pool with zeo sand, i back washed 6 times with 3 minute cycles with a rince after the 3rd back wash. Course i was using a 1.5 hp pump with my 16" sand filter, it would drop my pool by 3 inches atleast, then i would refill and do another back wash. I have clear water now and i have been using it now for days.

Welcome to TFP!

Zeo often needs a good ten minutes to half an hour of backwashing when it is new to avoid this exact problem. There are situations where even that doesn't take care of it. Occasionally you get a bad batch of zeo, which is softer than usual, and it is constantly getting crushed and thus continues to put dust into the pool until it is replaced.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

Zeo often needs a good ten minutes to half an hour of backwashing when it is new to avoid this exact problem. There are situations where even that doesn't take care of it. Occasionally you get a bad batch of zeo, which is softer than usual, and it is constantly getting crushed and thus continues to put dust into the pool until it is replaced.
I am thinking that this "bad batch" idea may apply. I did the initial backwash for 15 minutes as recommended by the pool supply store. It has been a problem for 6 months and it has been backwashed several times. One time I backwashed about 12 inches of water out of the pool to try to fix this with no help. (I also had too much CYA that I needed to get rid of)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.