CYA in skimmer / Circupool SWG

ncpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2010
Pool School says to put CYA in a sock and then put the sock in the skimmer to dissolve. I did this and later realized in the owner's manual for my Circupool RJ45 it specifically says "DO NOT" add chemicals via skimmer (emphasis theirs). In addition, i noticed a couple times while the CYA was in the skimmer the RJ45 unit was showing a high salt reading (the warning led was lit, and the display read high salt as well).

I doubt there was any harm done, just wanted to raise the observation for others who may have this unit and need to add CYA to get up to pool school recommended levels.

You did no harm to your pool or equipment

I'm sure that manual is referring to the DIRECT addition of chemistry like MA or Chlorine into the skimmer. Putting the CYA in a sock inside the skimmer is just fine because it dissolves very slowly and there is never a big "slug" of chemistry that passes through the equipment.

In fact, the forum finds it acceptable to directly add CYA slowly into the skimmer and allow it to be captured by the filter and slowly dissolve inside the filter. You cannot backwash during the time it is dissolving, though, and generally speaking, the sock method is still the best.

OK, got it. Good to know. Thanks guys.

I guess i thought the high salt light was related since it had never been on since i installed it a couple weeks ago, and the results of my last strip test was 3600 (manf recommends 3500). The light isn't on now. May just be a correlation/causation error on my part.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.