Replacing Accessory Pump

Mar 31, 2012
Hello All!

I have been lurking at this site for quite some time now. I really appreciate the advice so I decided to join.

I have a question about replacing a Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP Pump. I intend to replace the whole unit as it is 12 years old. From what I have read, I am looking at either a Pentair or Jandy Pro Series.

This is not the main pool pump. This is a water feature pump that controls (2) sheer descents and a fountain. I am wondering if I really need to go with the 1.5HP for these (3) water features or if I could get away with a 1 HP unit. I do have a control that can increase or decrease the water flow.

Also, does anyone have a preference over the brands of pumps? I think they both provide excellent value.

Thanks!

The pool is a play pool with swimout. It's roughly 27,000 gallons and has a spa. I have a Hayward Super Pump with Multi-Flo Valve and I use a 60' Hayward DE filter. It has an Aqua switch with Jandy valves to switch from pool and spa mode. The pump and return lines are 2 1/2 lines. I would say the equipment is located about 30 feet away from the pool. The accessory pump in question is also 2 1/2 inch plumbing. The Jacuzzi Magnum Force is old and I know I can just replace the pump motor but I have already replace the filter, main pump, and Polaris pump, so I figure it's best to replace the whole unit.

Again, I am looking for the best pump recommendations. My pool guy tells me Jandy is the best but it looks like the opinion of this board is that Pentair is the best. Also, can I get away with a 1HP pump versus a 1.5HP that I am replacing.

Again, thanks for any feedback I can get.

This is a water feature pump that controls (2) sheer descents and a fountain. No jets involved although the fountain is a 1 1/2 hole that I screw a PVC fountain onto. I can control the flow with a valve for more or less return to the sheer descents and fountain all at the same time, not individual. So, low pressure to the (3) gives me a trickle, wide open give me sheer descents flowing 3" out and a fountain stream about 6 feet high. Do I really need a 1 1/2 HP? Also, what brand for this type of flow?

Thanks!

That Jacuzzi Magnum Force pump runs from 110 gpm @ 30 ft head to 90 gpm @ 40 ft head. So you need to pretty closely match those numbers.

A Whisperflo WFDS-4 or WFDS-26 will work It has the same flow at low head and only slightly less flow at 40 ft of head.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.