Reviving 1 year neglected pool

jman17

Mar 30, 2012
Well I'm ashamed to admit that I've neglected my pool for a year due to certain events in my life, but now I have dedicated time and in a better position to take care of the pool.

It is a 9,000 gallon free form plaster pool and the water is brown.... :( It is connected to a cartridge filter.

I was planning to just keep on shocking it and adding bleach until it clears up, but my co-worker told me I'm better off draining, cleaning and refilling the pool. He says I'll probably be spending $300-$400 on shock and bleach before the water gets better. I know there are lots of experts on here and wanted to know your opinions on this.

Almost never a really good reason to drain a pool. The water in there is perfectly clear....you just have to get the junk out of it. I know that sounds silly, but if you think of it like that, it's helpful.

You'll have to spend some physical labor whether you drain or not and the expense of chlorine will be FAR less than your co-worker thinks.

The Cartridge filter will require frequent attention once you start to clear but it's a very doable project to clear your water without draining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.