Outdoor speakers

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
I am wanting to get some outdoor speakers to put up at the pool. I am not sure if I should get wireless or wired. The furthest I would be putting speakers from the stereo is about 35 feet. Also ... are all stereos wireless speaker compatible ? I have heard wireless speakers loose sound quality easily, is this true?

Any input would be helpful .....

we have wired, but late last year I got something from best buy, for wireless rear surround speakers, it actually works pretty well...granted it's 20ft away and no walls.

We have the in-ground domed speakers outside, love them, bury the cable, coming out from the garage...very simple install, dig a hole and plop them in :)

The nice thing about them is they don't project the sound over the fence, we really like all of our neighbors and I'm sure they don't want to hear Jimmy Buffett all summer :)

Tizme,
I'll have to agree with Sean, go with wired if possible. I have an outdoor one and 1) it doesn't have the sound capacity that the wired do and 2) like Sean says you're constantly replacing batteries. And, it takes about 6 or 8 of the C batteries...that ain't cheap when they won't even last a full day. I have bought but not installed yet the Boze 151 outdoor speakers. I have friends and family that have these and they are fabulous! You can get them at Sam's fairly cheap!

uwimage...what's wrong with your neighbors??? :-D You need to invite them to Margaritaville! JB all summer long is the ONLY way to go! :lol:

Karen

I almost got those voyager series myself but went with a pair of Bose 251's. I'm an avid Bose hater, don't get me wrong, but their outdoor speakers have far more bang for the buck than their home theater line. I'm very happy with the sound of the 251's. There were many threads on avsforum.com and quite a few other bose haters admitted to buying and enjoying the 251's. Just my $0.02.

Interesting. I'm not big on Bose either. I've always thought the saying "No highs, no lows, must be Bose" was right on the money. I'll have to at least listen to them. If they'd spend half as much on R&D as they do marketing, they'd have a good set of products.

crabboy said:
Interesting. I'm not big on Bose either. I've always thought the saying "No highs, no lows, must be Bose" was right on the money. I'll have to at least listen to them. If they'd spend half as much on R&D as they do marketing, they'd have a good set of products.

I don't want to start a debate about audio quality, but there's nothing wrong with Bose. Then again, I don't read audio forums, I just like how they sound. I've had snare drums banging about 10 feet from my right ear for going on 25 years so maybe I'm a little bent aurally :)

I got a set of wired Jensen outdoor speakers for the pool area. They cost me $33 from Amazon.com and sound as good as I need them to - actually not bad at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Man, it hurts to read some of these posts...I have Acoustimass in my home and love them, but have two rear JBL speakers, so maybe that helps. But I love my Bose and my Harmon Kardon surround receiver...
Anyway, I would go wired, seems to me that, although the day may come that wireless catches up, wired is the way to go. I've got my outdoor speakers wired into my Harmon Kardon, and even though I cheaped out on this first set (budgetary reasons :) ), they sound good.
And spend a little dough to get good wire (check the recommendations of the speaker co. and your surround or stereo manual).

As a longtime audiophile geek type of girl, I am almost embarrassed to say I really like my Bose set up for the Pool....We just set the Sound dock with the Ipod in the window and it gives us great tunes all summer long. Good volume and not bad sound at all.
Mind you this is a for a small pool and the window is almost within touching distance...

Since this thread seems to have come back to life, I'll give an update.

I looked around for the Boston Voyager speakers, but could not find them locally to listen to. I listened to the Polk Atrium 60's and they sounded great. After returning the set I got from Frys because one was bad, I bought a pair from crutchfield. I'm pushing them with an 100W Sony I had around and they sound great outside, good base response given the 6.5" driver,

Very satisfied with them.

Glad you found some speakers you like.

As far as the Bose discussion, Bose bashing is required if you want to claim to be an "audiophile" over at AVS - no offense. I suspect there are people there who have never auditioned them outside the store, who bash them regularly. Why would anyone feel a need to hate a product they don't own? Choose what you like and move on.

I have a good ear, and thoroughly enjoy my Acoustimass 10 series 3. When I bought them they fit my needs perfectly, accommodating my need for unobtrusive speakers and a desire for great sound. We have a dedicated game/media room now, so space and room function is not a concern. If I were shopping now, I would probably go with tower speakers for the fronts for more mid-range. However, I like the Bose well enough that I'm not anxious to make any changes.

The only rule you need to remember when buying speakers is buy what sounds good to you! People at AVS are all to willing to make an exception to that rule when it comes to Bose in order to maintain that they are "audiophiles." They think (or at least say) that if you like Bose, you must have been duped by their slick marketing; allowing no chance that you actually did you homework, listened to lots of different speakers using the same source material and in the end chose Bose because you preferred it to the rest. Personally, I think the bashing is rude and something these same people would not do in a face to face conversation with a Bose owner. To the self anointed audiophiles out there, my response it that I'm perfectly willing to just disregard the terminology and enjoy my music and movies. Not that I have an opinion on the subject. 8)

i love my bose. have it in my buick, wife in her acadia, son has it in his corvette, yukon, mustang, mercedes, cadillac, and what ever else he has on his car lot err driveway.

i also have a nice home audio system through out the house all BOSE, sound great, crystal clear, bose has good base, good treb, and the clearest sounding speaker i have ever listened to.

my son who is the audio nut in the family has a complete system with 6 outdoor bose speakers and i think 40 total indoor bose speakers in the ceiling. i have 8 of them. 4 in the bedroom, two in the kitchen and 2 in the dining room. then 4 out side.

but bose is the way to go IMO, great sound, nice base and crystal clear audio.

have them on the boat too. never own anything else.

The other great thing about the Bose Soundock with Ipod we have is we can pack it up in its little suitcase and take it with us wherever we go. We've taken it on vacation and had all our music with us. I believe that the latest version is battery operated as well and so you can dispense with the need to plug it in.

Will it replace my living room setup - absolutely not, but then it is not meant to. Have I heard anything else that small that conveys the music as well for my specific (pool) purpose? Nope. Does this mean I have to give my audiophile decoder ring back?? :rockon:

SeanB said:
Glad you found some speakers you like.

As far as the Bose discussion, Bose bashing is required if you want to claim to be an "audiophile" over at AVS - no offense. I suspect there are people there who have never auditioned them outside the store, who bash them regularly. Why would anyone feel a need to hate a product they don't own? Choose what you like and move on.

I have a good ear, and thoroughly enjoy my Acoustimass 10 series 3. When I bought them they fit my needs perfectly, accommodating my need for unobtrusive speakers and a desire for great sound. We have a dedicated game/media room now, so space and room function is not a concern. If I were shopping now, I would probably go with tower speakers for the fronts for more mid-range. However, I like the Bose well enough that I'm not anxious to make any changes.

The only rule you need to remember when buying speakers is buy what sounds good to you! People at AVS are all to willing to make an exception to that rule when it comes to Bose in order to maintain that they are "audiophiles." They think (or at least say) that if you like Bose, you must have been duped by their slick marketing; allowing no chance that you actually did you homework, listened to lots of different speakers using the same source material and in the end chose Bose because you preferred it to the rest. Personally, I think the bashing is rude and something these same people would not do in a face to face conversation with a Bose owner. To the self anointed audiophiles out there, my response it that I'm perfectly willing to just disregard the terminology and enjoy my music and movies. Not that I have an opinion on the subject. 8)

Well, as someone who lived with a pair of 901's when they first came out in the 70's (and STILL their flagship speaker) I have to agree that Bose are NOT an audiophile speaker and, as a former Bose owner I do bash them. (Dumped the Bose for a pair of ESS towers, anyone remember them and their Heil Air-Motion Transformer?) I find their current home theater stuff a bit overpriced for what you get. HOWEVER, I think they make one of the better outdoor speaker lines--the 251 is outstanding. Then again, when we are talking about outdoor use we are not really talking about a high fidelity application, are we? :wink: (Unless, of course, we are talking about the multi speaker, high powered setups they use at outdoor concerts (anyone ever seen Pink Floyd live?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.