Outdoor speakers

Sean, I knew there was a reason I liked you! I did homework, and I'd be hard pressed to replace my Bose Acoustimass system, and I have it in a hardwood room with very few wall furnishings...and my wife won't let me buy those cloth things you hang on the wall to help the sound bounce around :)

For a lower-cost alternative, I use the Yamaha NS-AW390. I have two pair around the pool and they sound pretty good. Last year I found a pair for ~$85 (new, and had to wait a few weeks for shipping), but it looks like the prices have gone up to ~$150/pair.

For parts and wiring, you just can't beat outdoorspeakerdepot.com.

tnthudson said:
.and my wife won't let me buy those cloth things you hang on the wall to help the sound bounce around :)

If you are referring to sound baffles, their job is to ABSORB sound reflections and make a room more acoustically dead. A room with hard floors, walls, and ceilings is going to be 'live' and add it's own color to the soundfield.

jkalan said:
For a lower-cost alternative, I use the Yamaha NS-AW390. I have two pair around the pool and they sound pretty good. Last year I found a pair for ~$85 (new, and had to wait a few weeks for shipping), but it looks like the prices have gone up to ~$150/pair.

I dont' remember the model numbers, but my first surround set up was by Yamaha - sounded great. I especially like their receivers.

tnthudson said:
Sean, I knew there was a reason I liked you! I did homework, and I'd be hard pressed to replace my Bose Acoustimass system, and I have it in a hardwood room with very few wall furnishings...and my wife won't let me buy those cloth things you hang on the wall to help the sound bounce around :)

:lol: Thanks. And if you are trying to absorb sound, like Evan suggested, you may try floor rugs and curtains as a wife friendly alternative. 8)

SeanB said:
jkalan said:

I dont' remember the model numbers, but my first surround set up was by Yamaha - sounded great. I especially like their receivers.

i need a new receiver, any reason you like theirs. i have a sony now, thats hooked up to a 10k watt amplifier.

I've never felt that Bose speakers sounded bad... in my case when shopping around I just felt that they cost more than they should. These days there are lots of speaker brands that I feel just have more bang for the buck... Yet I do enjoy my Bose 251's on my patio.

Besides having a good bang for the buck on features, Yamaha has very good DSP sound fields - being able to duplicate the sound of different venues - cathedral, hall, movie theater, etc.

I like to do my own speaker / room calibration with a sound level meter, but if you don't want to go through all that, get a model with YPAO (don't remember the acronym), which using a mic to automatically calibrate the speaker settings for your given room - very cool.

SeanB said:
Besides having a good bang for the buck on features, Yamaha has very good DSP sound fields - being able to duplicate the sound of different venues - cathedral, hall, movie theater, etc.

I like to do my own speaker / room calibration with a sound level meter, but if you don't want to go through all that, get a model with YPAO (don't remember the acronym), which using a mic to automatically calibrate the speaker settings for your given room - very cool.

i need to do that my self.

since i have speakers in different rooms and not just a 5.1 system its gunna be different. all the receiver has to do is provide base power to the amplfier and the amplafire with its own power source takes over. the receiver is just a place i plug stuff in to and the speakers are connected to the aplafier. its also a volume control. reason i need a new one is my sony is about 18 years old and its starting to cut in and out. but it was a great receiver. 8) I think receivers are the longest lasting gadget someone can buy. i have a kenwood system thats about 40 years old in my office and its running as good as it did when i bought it at the store, i love shopping in the old days, no credit cards, talked to the owner, who if you had a problem, would fix him self, times have changed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a new Onkyo 875 receiver myself. It's the first receiver I've owned which does the self calibration using the mic. I can't say I loved the results. I only tried running through it once and should probably spend some more time with it, but I ended up just setting levels with an SPL meter and turning off the EQ.

I never much cared for any DSP modes on receivers either... even back in the DPL days. IMHO, all they do is change the sound from what was originally intended. I'd rather trust the production/recording crew to get the sound right than some dumb chip blindly altering the sound so it sounds like I'm in a cathedral or something. Just my $0.02. I'm a big fan of 'Direct' or 'Pure Audio' type modes which bypass all DSP and just give you the purest reproduction possible.

I'd definately recommend the Onkyo receiver though... simply an amazing piece of equipment. The 875 has some very nice video features that if you're not interested in for your setup, the 805 is an extremely good bang for the buck.

problem is, it's a lot more than just audio now with where HD and video is headed. There's a lot more involved with a receiver than there used to be.

Above all, one person's ear hears things differently then anothers. Do what sounds best for your ear and be done with it, no need to stress further. FWIW, I have a high-end Onkyo with the self-calibration and choose to set it based on my ear, not what the calibration thinks. To each their own, eh?

Here's what we got, my brother in law got them at a yard sale, new in the box, never used for $10 each...they sound great :D (as long as Buffet, our sports radio station or some Sinatra type music is coming out of them :D)

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

waterbear said:
They look like copies of the Bose Free Space.

probably, the retail price on the boxes were $99 each, the fact that they were free to me and only cost him $20, I'm pretty happy with the sound :D

I do have the intention of installing three more speakers around the patio area and a outdoor sub so I can have 5.1 under the patio, I have a screen to install for the projector, nothing like movies in the pool! I'll make sure to update on the progress, should happen by mid summer.

Ironically, I deal with some of the most advanced audio/video process stuff in the world, at home, I'm much more laid back, give me a little kenwood system, 5.1, 1080i hd, I'm happy...I'm very picky there, just don't want to think about it when I get home...give me a pretty picture, decent sound & I'm good :D

(I run all the audio/video systems at Victory Plaza at Victory Park in Dallas (not at the AAC), just google, the wiki page is pretty good, our website sucks, I hate flash sites...but that's not my job ;))

uwimage said:
(I run all the audio/video systems at Victory Plaza at Victory Park in Dallas (not at the AAC), just google, the wiki page is pretty good, our website sucks, I hate flash sites...but that's not my job ;))

can you come help me install a 50' digital billboard display out by the pool then.... ?? :lol:

sredish said:
uwimage said:

can you come help me install a 50' digital billboard display out by the pool then.... ?? :lol:

I run it, I didn't install it :lol:

but yes, if you have the budget...this is about a 300 million dollar install...but we can make the screens move around the pool for that much :D

SeanB said:
The only rule you need to remember when buying speakers is buy what sounds good to you! People at AVS are all to willing to make an exception to that rule when it comes to Bose in order to maintain that they are "audiophiles." They think (or at least say) that if you like Bose, you must have been duped by their slick marketing; allowing no chance that you actually did you homework, listened to lots of different speakers using the same source material and in the end chose Bose because you preferred it to the rest. Personally, I think the bashing is rude and something these same people would not do in a face to face conversation with a Bose owner. To the self anointed audiophiles out there, my response it that I'm perfectly willing to just disregard the terminology and enjoy my music and movies. Not that I have an opinion on the subject. 8)
I don't think this generalizing is fair. I'm a member of AVS (have been for a long time) and I certainly don't bash Bose. I also don't see much Bose bashing over there. If it does happen, it's quickly corrected by a moderator. If it's not, click the report link and it will be.

As for the source of the bashing, most of it is centered around those little cubes. More specifically the sound quality vs. price. Some people believe that you can get better sound for less money. You probably can, but the same can be said for a lot of thing. Heck, there's audiophiles who will bash my system (Mirage speakers and Denon receiver).

The other Bose products don't get bashed as much. The car audio and outdoor speakers are actually fairly highly thought of.

As for the topic...I haven't installed anything yet (waiting for everything to be done), but because of the environment (wide open space with lot of "outside" noise) I just bought some cheap outdoor speakers from Circuit City. Found them (Dual) on sale for $14.95 a pair. Bought 2 pair. I'll probably drive them with a AudioSource 100 Amp. You can get the amp from Amazon for just a little over $90. I'll use a PC running iTunes which will give me access to all my music and allow me to control it wirelessly from the Pool (using Signal on a PocketPC).

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.