Planning Ahead!

Dega500

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I'm just trying to plan ahead a little and thinking about what I would do if my pump quit working all of a sudden. I would at least like to have a suitable replacement in mind since I don't think the original is available anymore. So I'd like to ask the xperts here what a good replacement pump would be.

By the way, I'm guessing that the pump is going on it's 5th or 6th year. This will be my 3rd year with it.

My current pump is a BAQUAPURE 2 1/2hp 2 SPEED Pump (I actually think it's some model of AO Smith pump)

I would really be shocked if this pump actually operated at 2 1/2HP. I run it on low 95% of the time only using high only when I need extra circulation for clearing, vacuuming or running my Polaris 65.

I'm hoping that some of you have experience with this pump and can give me recommendations without too much trouble.

Thanks,

Mike

The experts will come along with better advice than I can give but given the pool size I would think you could get away with a much smaller HP two speed pump like the Whisperflo model saving you a lot of energy costs. Maybe you could make a move now and take advantage of the lower operating costs and have the old pump in reserve in case you were to need it in an emergency?

Wow, thanks for the info. I knew from reading here that it sounded way oversized but I kind of figured the motor had been rated creatively as a gimick or something the way some amplifier/ speaker manufacturers rate their products.

They do play with the SF (service factor) and HP numbers but they're not quite as bad as audio folks rate their's. The true HP of a pump is gotten by multiplying the SF times the HP, and even then they may limit the impeller so it's not loaded even close to the rating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.