help the noob.........swg settings

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
we are starting the aqualogic ps-8 tomorrow. i got a couple of simple questions.
Is the 3200-3600 number that most people use is a salt ppm # ? to increase this number, add more salt?

is the swg output setting the % of time the cell is "making" chlorine? raise this setting to increase chlorine?
does a # on the swg directly correlate with ppm chlorine in the pool? or is it increase output and then check chlorine poolside.

finally, a friend tells me he rsises his 3200-3600 number by increasing the swg output. how can you increase salt ppm without adding more salt or water evap?

Hi Induce,

induce said:
we are starting the aqualogic ps-8 tomorrow. i got a couple of simple questions.
Is the 3200-3600 number that most people use is a salt ppm # ? to increase this number, add more salt?
PPM=Parts per Million and how much salt you need depends on the volume of your pool. According to BleachCalc, a 22K Gallon pool would require 586.9 lbs of salt to reach the desired 3200 PPM level. I usually keep mine somewhere between 3000 to 3200.

induce said:
is the swg output setting the % of time the cell is "making" chlorine? raise this setting to increase chlorine?
does a # on the swg directly correlate with ppm chlorine in the pool? or is it increase output and then check chlorine poolside.
Yes, the setting (%) means the amount of time, based on a one hour span, that the cell will be energized and producing cholrine. A 50% setting means that the cell will be energized and producing chlorine for 30 minutes and off the other 30 minutes. The cycle starts every hour.

induce said:
finally, a friend tells me he rsises his 3200-3600 number by increasing the swg output. how can you increase salt ppm without adding more salt or water evap?
You're right, the only way to increase the PPM is to add more salt or loose some water from evaporation.

Attachments

• Chart1.gif
    Chart1.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 33
Thanks Rick!

on the ps-8, is there a way to know approx chlorine levels? Or do you set the output, check the water poolside, adjust the output, check the water, etc?

next question, when your ppm start dropping, does the ps-8 tell you to add salt?
don't some models even tell you how much to add?

The PS8 doesnt tell you how much chlorine is in the pool, you need to check the water and then adjust the setting. Every pool is different so each pool needs to dial in their own setting.

The remote control and the base unit will display the salt readings on the LCD. It will only tell you to add salt if it gets below 2700 ppm, it wont tell you how much to add. You will see a warning light on the remote and base unit (it's a bright amber light) and the LCD will display something like "LOW SALT". If you put too much salt, the unit will tell you "HIGH SALT" and it will stop generating chlorine. Goldline recomends that you keep the salt levels between 2700 and 3400 ppm. I add the salt trough the skimmer. If you do this go slowly, you dont want the weir valve to close up and bypass the skimmer. It's happened to me before and i have to turn off the pump and then start it again, not difficult to do with the remote by your side.

The PS8 will also remind you to inspect the cell with a “Inspect/Clean Cell” message after 500 hours of operation. This is normal, just inspect the cell to make sure there is no build up on the plates and then you can reset the warning light.

One 40Lb bag of salt will raise the PPM level on your pool approximately 218 PPMs. So if you see your salt level dropping you know how much salt to add to raise it back to the normal level.

My PS8 came with the base unit, an indoor wireless remote control (looks excatly like the base unit) and a small waterproof wireless spa side remote control. I can run the pumps, heater, goldline valve actuators, cleaner, waterfall, spa, blower, pool/spa lights and a yard flood light all from this remote. It's great!!

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Chart2.gif
    Chart2.gif
    34.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Table2.gif
    Table2.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 35
thanks again rick.

i just spoke with my friend. he swears that when he pushes the "boost" mode on his Jandy system, it raises the ppm readout the nest day.
is something happening chemically to raise ppm??
Richard.............are you out there?

Changes in PH, temperature, and several other numbers will change the ppm of salt that the unit "sees". The actual salt level doesn't normally change very much (unless you drain and refill). Many systems use a simple conductivity test without temperature compensation, which can vary wildly from the actual salt level. Some systems are temperature compensated, which helps a great deal, but changes in PH can still affect the reading. Running a SWG on high will tend to change the PH, which will tend to change the salt reading the unit sees, even though the actual salt level isn't changing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.