Need advice for buying house with a pool

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
Hi All,

I posted before that we are buying a house with a pool. As we aren't moving in until Memorial Day weekend, we can't really get the pool opened and inspected ahead of time, as no one will be around to keep it up. My husband and I are thinking of asking the current owners to put some money in escrow in the event the pump and filter don't work when the pool is opened. In this case we would probably have someone open the pool for us, just so we can be sure that if anything isn't working, it isn't due to our negligence. Has anyone done anything like this? If I do, I don't know how much a new pump or filter would cost, or what repairs might cost, so I have no idea how much to ask them to put in escrow. Any help would be appreciated. I'm still trying to find out the age of the pool from the owners, which would probably be useful information.

Thanks,

Kelley

Without an inspection it's almost impossible to figure if anything's wrong with it and how much is wrong. Do you know when the last time it was opened and used?

That's no garranty, but if it was last year you can figure there's nothing major wrong with it. $1000 to $1500 for a pump and filter would be in the ballpark.

Replacing a pump and or filter is a pretty simple process and if I was just worried about those 2 items I would say $1500 would more then cover those items. However, if you are talking about the entire pool...things like a leak at the main drain or other buried plumbing could be very costly to repair and i don't even have a good guess. You might consider having to current owner go ahead and open the pool and get everything running so you can see if is OK and have it looked at by a pool company and then turn off the pumps, give it a good dose of chlorine and an algaecide and cover it until you move in. I am sure others will chime in with words of wisdom.

You might want to ask your home inspector? They probably have a reference for you. Tell them you want the plumbing pressure checked along with the inspection. Should be in the inspection but you'd be surprised. Pool inspection that is, not home.

I was a home inspector up until last year, and also inspected pools when requested. A home inspector who is able to inspect a pool (having the credentials to do so, of course) has to follow the same guidelines as in the home itself.....it has to have the ability to be inspected. In this case, pool has to be up and running.

My pool inspection would take about 45-60 minutes.

I found a company, Colony Pools, in Wilmington, DE that has good reviews and is A+ rated with the Better Business Bureau. They agreed with BadOleRoss that they could put some chlorine in and put the cover back on for us until we move in. Now to get the owners to open the pool...

After all is said and done with the testing/inspection I would be sure to bring the pool up to shock level with chlorine and maybe even add some PolyQuat to the water to help minimize the algae you will have to deal with when you open. The darker you can keep the pool the better off you will be. When you do finally uncover, come back and see us and we will help you get it cleared up. Be sure to get one of the recommended test kits before you open!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.