Melt's 2012 backyard changes

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
We don't talk all that much about landscaping, etc on this forum, but I'm interested to see what everyone is doing to make their yard nicer. I'll start! Our plans for this year mainly involve building some raised beds along our back view fence.

Before:
DSCN6333.jpg

Low-tech concrete saw seems to work just fine:
DSCN6331.jpg

All cut and ready to move:
DSCN6343.jpg

Anchoring the edges as we go (no making fun of my hat):
DSCN6348.jpg

All pulled up:
DSCN6350.jpg

Part 1 of 500 is now done!
DSCN6352.jpg

Pavers to be re-used elsewhere:
DSCN6353.jpg

Since we were outside all day, might as well tend the smoker, right? Mmmmmm......
DSCN6356.jpg

Here's where we are going with it: the red in the pictures below is a new row of block I'll add to the wall. I'll just take down the metal fence, put the layer of block, and re-install the same fencing. With the bottom raised, we can actually build a raised bed there without the dirt falling out the back.
shot.jpg

The beds will eventually look something like this. The gap in the fence is where the new gate will go, and the new fire pit will be in the seating area to the right of the gate.
shot2.jpg

This will probably take most of the year! Lately I've been working on branching off the existing irrigation system and running new lines to the back areas...it's more work than it sounds! I'll get some pictures of that stuff, and I'll update this as progress is made!

Yeah it is going to take a year ... since it is already going to hit 90 this week I see your schedule as something like ...

Enjoy swimming for the next 6 months and come October start working again :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the support folks! Zea, George, linen, whoever: next time you're in Tucson we can set something up...

linen, I'm using a piece of junk Kingsford offset smoker. It works, but I've only had it a couple years and it's looking like it'll last a couple more before it rusts out. Here's the one I want:
http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.com/s ... ker/Detail
The green egg thingies are cool, but I just can't imagine limiting myself to that little space. Even the "giant" one is pretty small.

Over the weekend I pulled up some more of the pavers around the edges so I can bury the irrigation pipe and elec conduit around the edges of the yard. It's pretty hard going; much tougher than I expected. The pavers have been there for 6 or 7 years now, and they're wedged in there really tight! I'm trying to just pull a couple rows of pavers out, but lots more are loosening as I go. I'm kinda worried I won't be able to get them all back in, since whenever they shift, dirt and sand falls in between them. We'll see. I'm thinking I'll have to pull out and re-lay all of the loose ones :(

MITS...I love my UDS (ugly/upright drum smoker if you haven't heard of them) :party:. It is a vertical (i.e. not horizontal) oriented 55 gallon smoker with option for two 22.5" diameter levels for cooking, that I built myself from one of the tried and true plans on the internet. I have used: pellets, offsets, wsms, converted refridges etc. but the best q I have made has come from the UDS design. Let me know if you are interested in more detail. Mine is not pretty looking, but it you google up the uds, you will find that people have done some fancy stuff. I like the BGEs too, but more for their high temps then for their low temp cooking...there cooking space and price is limiting to me (my uds only cost me ~$70 in parts)...being the cheapskate I am :hammer:

linen, my wife would kill me if I tried that! She wants me to get one of those shiny expensive steel gas grills from bigbox :roll: If I had a place to store a UDS out of sight that might be different, but I don't :( Did you make yours look prettier, or is it just a drum? Not sure what I will do when this one dies, since shipping is such a killer for all the nice pits. There's a place in Phoenix that sells Yoder stuff...

jblizzle, I've kind of wanted to get some of the Tucson members together for a while now...maybe sometime this year when my yard isn't such a disaster :cheers:

Here's what I talking about yesterday:

Water for the new irrigation is tapped off the line for the pool autofill. Having the last row of pavers cemented in makes things a bit interesting...have to tunnel under :grrrr:
DSCN6509.jpg

Four zones in the big box, and the small round one has a ball valve for a new hose bib I'll put in by the fire pit
DSCN6510.jpg

Some pavers pulled up, kinda short on space so I'm not looking forward to digging the trench. I'll have to pull out another row of pavers to get clear of the footing for the wall. Lots of hand digging with little tools, and I plan on fitting a 3/4" line for the hose bibb, 2 1/2" lines for irrigation, a 1" empty PVC conduit, and maybe some more extra empty stuff since I never want to do this again! I'll also take the time to run a short piece of 2" pipe for the SWG wires, since I'm tired of tripping on my flow sensor cable. Or I could just move the box...
DSCN6511.jpg

Branching off for one of the lines, which is going to some existing shrubs and tree that I'm tired of watering by hand during the winter. More tunneling to do here...
DSCN6508.jpg

I can not quite tell, but do you have a anti-siphon valve after the house before the pool auto-fill so pool water can not be pulled into the house? You may also want to add another anit-siphon valve between the irrigation and the pool auto-fill otherwise there is a chance that "contaminated" water from the irrigation could be pulled back into the pool ... unless the solenoid valves you are using also are anti-siphon.

Probably a remote possibility ... but still.

Another nice look at your gas line 3" underground ... I can not understand how they get away with things like that (unless they did it without permit).

Yep, you can see it in the first picture in the above post, right at the left edge above the hose bibb. It was already there for the autofill. Thanks for making sure :goodjob:

On the subject of safety, you can see why gas lines are supposed to be buried to 18" with a tracer wire. I poked a pinhole in that one while I was digging, and I'm not sure I want to have it fixed.

Nothing between the irrigation and pool, but I'm not worried about it. I'm not using a fertilizer injector or anything like that. Thanks for the link to the gas repair...looks interesting. I wonder how much exposed pipe they need on each side to make the repair? I need to just call someone and see.

Melt In The Sun said:
linen, my wife would kill me if I tried that! She wants me to get one of those shiny expensive steel gas grills from bigbox :roll: If I had a place to store a UDS out of sight that might be different, but I don't :( Did you make yours look prettier, or is it just a drum? Not sure what I will do when this one dies, since shipping is such a killer for all the nice pits. There's a place in Phoenix that sells Yoder stuff...

You hit it on the head...my wife is very forgiving of me and has learned to deal with my idiosyncrasies. The UDS is a case in point...also known in some circles as a WTS (white trash smoker)...before the pool and since we did not have a deck, I concluded the best place to smoke was in the front yard...obviously :lol: Picture this...a somewhat round bearded fellow in his working clothes, sitting on a chair staring at the smoke coming off his plain black drum for hours in full view of the neighbors (the same neighbors that then conveniently stopped by to chat about dinner time). While that was heaven for me, I am sure it took a lot of self control on her part to not come out there and put me out of my misery/blissful existence. I would assume she is much happier now that me and my ugly drum are stuck back behind the house by the pool...but maybe I wont ask :wink: Still need a deck though. For me smoking meat is one of my obsessions, and the flavor/taste of the food that comes off that vertical smoker maybe what keeps me alive :mrgreen:

There are many ways to "pretty" them up...not sure if that would make muster with your wife though. Maybe try and convince her it's not the packaging but what is good on the inside...on second thought maybe i wouldn't... :roll: I did convert mine to use a weber grill cover, so I could go two levels for ribs, butts etc, and do turkey.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.