Pool opening before vacation

May 3, 2010
With the warm winter Southern New Jersey has had, I took the cover off the pool this past weekend. Usually take it off the latter half of April, but I'll be on the road the first part of April and didn't want it to turn to pea soup before I got back (wife doesn't deal with the pool, and can't trust the kids with chemical quite yet).

Anyway, I had cleaned up some of the debris (leaves, worms, etc) in the pool, but the recent wind has dropped a bunch back in that I'll clean out tomorrow. Had the pool water tested, and had the following results:

CYA: 65
Tot. Chlorine: 0
Free Chlorine: 0
pH: 6.8
Tot. Alkalinity: 30
Tot. Hardness 20
Copper: 0.2 (well water)

With the CYA at a reasonable level, I figured that I'd get the FC up to shock levels and scrub the liner. Get the pH up to 7.5 or so. Monitor the FC and keep it there until it stabilizes, then let it lower to normal levels and add appropriate amounts of baking soda to get Alkalinity up.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

I'd have them tested again. Preferably at another place. You never know if you can trust the numbers you're getting. It's best to have your own kit, and if you really want to have Trouble Free Pool it's imperative that you get one.

Well, looking better so far. Cleaned the debris out of the pool, added chemicals and had it tested again today:

CYA: 40
FC: 1.8
pH: 7.6
Adj TA: 128
Tot Hardness: 20
Copper: 0.2

Pool has lost the green algae color, now it's the color I'd usually expect. Cloudy, but added clarifier and shock last night. Pool store (who did the testing again) wanted to sell me Simplicity Super Metal Control to get rid of the Copper (have well water), and 40 lbs of Calcium Hardness. I just bought some strainer baskets and said I'd let her know. Will add more 6% bleach when I get home to get FC up.

Thanks again,

Ken

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.