grease/oil, is it bad for the liner?

tonon

Mar 14, 2012
I won't tell you what I'm thinking, but does anyone know if grease or oil is bad for a liner? Does it deteriorate it? If so, is there a certain type, like silicon oil that is ok for it and may even protect it?

thank you

Petroleum products and plastics are generally a bad mix. Pool lube is a silicon grease that is used on gaskets and O-rings in pool equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Silicon spray is commonly used to protect chrome wheels from rust and to lubricate weather stripping to seal. I have no clue as price, coverage or the specific brand/mix, etc. If you get it at an automotive store, it might have additives you don't want, so check carefully.

Oil, or any lubricant, would not be a good choice. If the walls are bad, then they can be refinished. There is wall foam that is made to be put on the walls to give the liner a cushion.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

I want to build a pool that lasts. I'm thinking a Doughboy, with stainless steel fasteners. Fasteners that are in contact with other metal pieces, put grease on the threads and the bottom track (if its metal), plates and bottom of the wall and uprights, I'll spray automotive undercoating on them. Also, a 25 guage liner.

Someone here must have done at least one of these things when putting togather their pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.