Need Help with Red Salt Light on Intellichlor

Mar 30, 2012
Hi, I've seen older posts about the problem with the red low salt light staying on the intellichlor salt generators. I am having the same problem and the link to re-calibrate it is no longer available to access online. Is there anyone here that can please help? Would really like to try to re-calibrate it before spending over $500 for a new cell.

Have taken my pool water sample to 2 different pool places and all levels are in normal range. Salt readings are 3500.

Pool was originally put in in 2008 and have had 1 new salt cell replaced in 2009.

Hey hoovesnpaws, welcome to TFP!

A couple quick questions about your intellichlor: What size is your cell? Have you checked your cell for scaling? Lastly, how often does your cell run the self-cleaning cycle? By default this is every 2 hours for the first 30 days, then every 4 hours. This helps reduce scaling, but also causes the cell to wear out faster.

I found a good article about re-calibrating a Hayward Aquarite Turbo Cell, but could not find one for the intellichlor. I will call Pentair and update you with what I find out!

INTELLICHLOR SALT FIELD-CALIBRATE
Overview

Each Intellichlor is carefully calibrated at the factory to 2700ppm water. Various pools in
various regions will have different water chemistry, hardness, etc, that will affect the perceived
salt level. Field Calibrate is a method to override the factory set salt values and adjust the
readings to a specific pool and specific salt reading. Field calibrate can be performed at the
cell without any special equipment.

The factory salt settings are as follows:

Flash green 4000ppm
Green 2900-3900ppm
Yellow 2500-2900ppm
Red below 2500ppm

The downside of field calibration is that it overrides the factory calibration values, with no
method to restore them. If the Intellichlor is field calibrated to a pool, then removed and
installed onto another pool, the salt readings may be inaccurate for that new pool, requiring the
installer to perform another field calibrate. There is no limit on the amount of field calibrates
performed.

When the Intellichlor is read with the diagnostic wand, the words “FLD CALIBRATE’ will appear
next to the salt reading to indicate the unit has been field calibrated. The words
“CALIBRATED” will appear when the factory settings are still present.

How to field calibrate

1. The installer must take multiple readings of the pool water and be absolutely sure of
these readings before field calibrating the Intellichlor. If an electronic salt tester is
used, IT MUST BE CALIBRATED TO SALT, NOT TDS OR CONDUCTIVITY.

2. Fill a small container with water, then use the electronic tester or salt test strip to measure
the water. Do not place the electronic tester directly into the pool water, as it will be
inaccurate.

3. Verify the FLOW light is green, for good water flow through the cell.

4. Press and hold the MORE button for 3 seconds to enter system status mode. All the lights
will scroll across the panel, then go out. Only the PWR, CELL, LIFE, and LOW lights will be
lit.

5. Immediately press the MORE button again. The SANITIZER OUTPUT 100% light will turn
on, indicating the system will read the salt in a few moments.

6. After a few moments, the GOOD, ADD, and LOW salt lights will begin to scroll, indicating
the salt level is being read. It may take up to one minute to read the salt.

7. The salt level is now measured, the salt scrolling will stop and one of the salt lights will be
displayed. The SANTIZER OUTPUT 20% light will now be lit to indicate changes are now
allowed. Press the MORE button to CYCLE THROUGH EACH SALT LEVEL, then press the LESS
button to choose and save this display.

8. The unit is now recalibrated to the salt level in the pool.

9. This mode will exit in 5 seconds if no button is pressed.

10. If a mistake is made when choosing the salt level, simply wait 5 seconds for the mode to
end, then wait 2 minutes and repeat field calibrate again. The 2 minutes is necessary for
accurate readings between salt measurements.

Field calibrate examples

Example 1

Salt test strip shows water is 2700ppm
Intellichlor is displaying RED low salt, should display yellow ADD
1. Enter field calibration mode
2. Set salt display to YELLOW (#7 in steps), then press LESS button to end mode.
3. The unit will now display yellow ADD.
The flashing green light will now come on at 4000ppm
The green GOOD light will now come on at 3000ppm
The yellow ADD light will now come on at 2700ppm
The red LOW light will now come on at 2400ppm

Example 2

Salt test strip shows water is 3500ppm
Intellichlor is displaying YELLOW low salt, should display green GOOD
2. Set salt display to GREEN (#7 in steps), then press LESS button to end mode.
3. The unit will now display green GOOD.
The flashing green light will now come on at 4500ppm
The green GOOD light will now come on at 3500ppm
The yellow ADD light will now come on at 3200ppm
The red LOW light will now come on at 2900ppm

Example 3

Salt test strip shows water is 4200ppm
Intellichlor is displaying green GOOD salt, should display flashing green
1. Enter field calibrate mode
2. Set salt display to FLASHING GREEN (#7 in steps), then press LESS button to end mode.
3. The unit will now display flashing green, high salt
The flashing green light will now come on at 4200ppm
The green GOOD light will now come on at 3200ppm
The yellow ADD light will now come on at 2900ppm
The red LOW light will now come on at 2600ppm

Example 4

Salt test strip shows water is 3500ppm
Intellichlor is displaying red LOW salt, should display green
2. Set salt display to GREEN (#7 in steps) , then press LESS button to end mode.
3. The unit will now display green, GOOD.
The flashing green light will now come on at 4500ppm
The green GOOD light will now come on at 3500ppm
The yellow ADD light will now come on at 3200ppm
The red LOW light will now come on at 2900ppm

Thank you both for replying back. My cell is an IC40 and is the 1.9 version. I found out via google searching and calling pentair that it is really not recommended to re-calibrate these. I also found out that when Pentair went up to the 2.0 and higher versions you have the option to replace the flow sensor which helped with this same type of problem. Which means for me that's not an option. :(

As far as my cell itself it was very clean but has been cleaned with muratic acid just as a precautionary. I have never changed the original factory self cleaning settings. I have checked my usage and is coming up with 20% or 2000 hours but acutally it's about 3600 hours based on our usage calculations. I have been told that high phosphate levels can interfere with salt readings as well which I am currently in the process of reducing. Have either of you heard of this as well? My original reading was at 2500 which is insanely too high I know. I have been using PhosFree and they are now down to 300. Below 100 is the goal.

I have gone ahead and bought a new replacement cell today since it looks like that's really my only choice. Would be great if the phosphates are the source of the problem and I can return the replacement cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.