White clouds forms on pool top when first turning system on

Mar 24, 2012
Kansas City
Hello everyone:
I live in the Kansas city area, I'm totally new to the pool world. Just bought a house with pool built in 2006. It is a salt water system, with a Pentair IC 40 cell, 500 gallon filter, and 2 hp single speed whisper flow pump.
The pool was closed and covered with mesh cover for the last two years...

Of course you can imagine how bad the water was inside when we opened it last week....it took some nice effort cleaning, backwashing, vacuuming, and adding chemicals....the water steed cloudy so my pool service lady suggested adding "flock" to it and added "enzyme"...... Wihin 24 hours, the pool got clear, she vacuumed it and I could see the bottom clearly with crystal clear water......

The problem I noticed is that when I turn on my system, the water flows fine through the jets, and within few minutes (time for swg to see the salt and start working), milky white water come out of my jets for a couple of minutes enough turgid my water and form a white cloud on top of my pool.......it takes about 30 minutes and the pool is crystal clear again!!!!
the pool lady told me it could be the swg cell going bad but chlorine level is fine, and it only does it when the system is started
I cleaned my swg cell with 4 parts water 1 part muratic acid. Took water sample to the pool store and my chemistry is fine including chlorine, (so I know the swg is working)
I am including a picture of the cloud......
Thank you for reading so far and for any help.....sorry I rambled a lot but wanted to make sure I included as much info as possible

Re: White clouds forms on pool top when first turning system

Hello and welcome to TFP!

I'm not sure what is clouding the water up when the pump starts. Several things could cause it. What would help us out is for you to post your test results for us. Please post your FC, CC, calcium hardness, pH, TA, CYA, and salt level. Also, what kind of filter do you have? Is it a sand filter, a DE filter, or a cartridge filter?

Thank you for the reply....my filter is a 500 gallon sand filter. Sand was changed on it two years back.

Test results :
TC: 5.9
FC 5.9
PH 7.4
CYA 60
Total alkalinity. 106
Adjusted alkalinity. 88

Total hardiness. 254
Minerals 3100. ( added a bag of salt)A
Borates 14

Thanks again

It could be some residual from the use of flock or the enzyme product. I think the main point is that it does clear up. My guess is that your chlorine levels will take care of it and I would suggest you simply observe it and see if it gets better (probably) or worse.

It is normal for the SWG to give off tiny, tiny bubbles that come out of the returns but your description seems to go beyond that.

Your test results look pretty good and, as long as your water stays clear, I wouldn't do a thing.....at least for a week and my guess is that issue will be gone

It is fairly common for SWG to do this in the spring. When conditions are just right the hydrogen bubbles produced by the SWG all the time it is running just happen to be the right size to catch the light and look milky. It should stop when the water warms up a little or the chemical balance shifts enough to change the bubble size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.