Mar 23, 2008
hi, i'm new here. I have an 18X36 inground pool with a sand filter that has not been open for 2 summers. The water is green and cloudy with a green and brown color visibility is zero. I'm getting ready to open it on april 1st. I walked out today to the deep end of the pool and stuck my aqua chem test strip out there elbow deep and got these results

Hardness 0
Tot chlorine 0
Free chlorine 0
Ph 8.5
Tot alk 180
Stabilizer 50

Does anyone have any idea how I should start?
I don't want to waste all this shock and bleach I have.

thanks len84

Welcome to TFP!

I recently wrote a sticky about this very situation, here. There are detailed instructions there. The first steps are to make sure the pump and filter are working, evaluate how much debris is on the bottom, get the PH down to the 7.0-7.4 range, and order/purchase the appropriate supplies. Tell us how things progress and we can give you more detailed comments.

It would also be great if you could put your pool specs into your signature. That helps give context to your questions. For example you didn't mention if the pool was vinyl, fiberglass, plaster, or pebble.

JasonLion said:
It would also be great if you could put your pool specs into your signature. That helps give context to your questions. For example you didn't mention if the pool was vinyl, fiberglass, plaster, or pebble.

Welcome. Don't forget to mention the kind of filter, pump size and if there was a cover on it. (solid, mesh?)

By the sounds of it, atleast the pool is holding water.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to TFP!

After reading the 'stickies' (linked in my signature) you will want to order a good test kit. We fondly refer to strips as "Guess Strips" as they are not much accurate than guessing. The kit linked in my signature is the best value, plus the builder of said kit (duraleigh) is a regular here, and can answer all your questions.

If you have a lot of debris in the bottom, you are going to want to get that out before you begin to shock, or it will simply use up all the chlorine before it can kill the algae.

Post back with more specifics on your pool, and we can assist you further!

You have come to the right place to get your pool clean and clear in a hurry, and maintain it with ease all season!

Hey len1984, welcome to TFP! :)

Following the advice here, you will have your pool cleared in no time! Testing your own water and dosing your pool will be second nature soon! The best investment we made was the test kit. We like Dave's (duraleigh).

Many of us 'started' with a green swamp :wink:

jjparrish said:
Hey len1984, welcome to TFP! :)

Following the advice here, you will have your pool cleared in no time! Testing your own water and dosing your pool will be second nature soon! The best investment we made was the test kit. We like Dave's (duraleigh).

Many of us 'started' with a green swamp :wink:

NOT ME, i started with crystal clear blue water after i opened it when i bought the house last year, same thing this year, pools are easy. ok im just raggin yall.

welcome to TPF

Rollin Thunder said:
NOT ME, i started with crystal clear blue water after i opened it when i bought the house last year, same thing this year, pools are easy. ok im just raggin yall.

welcome to TPF

Pools ARE easy, that's exactly the point! They ain't rocket science. You just need to learn a few basics and get a GOOD testkit!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.