Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help

1. Back To Top    #1

help

hi, i'm new here. I have an 18X36 inground pool with a sand filter that has not been open for 2 summers. The water is green and cloudy with a green and brown color visibility is zero. I'm getting ready to open it on april 1st. I walked out today to the deep end of the pool and stuck my aqua chem test strip out there elbow deep and got these results

Hardness 0
    Tot chlorine 0
    Free chlorine 0
    Ph 8.5
    Tot alk 180
    Stabilizer 50

Does anyone have any idea how I should start?
    I don't want to waste all this shock and bleach I have.

thanks len84
    18X36 rectangular inground 30k gal
    3ft shallow 9ft deepest
    sand filter hayward S220T v
    vinyl liner
    main drain deepest end of pool
    pinnicle hpp 1HP pump
    1 skimmer
    test kit taylor k-2005
    Snow Hill, NC

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

I recently wrote a sticky about this very situation, here. There are detailed instructions there. The first steps are to make sure the pump and filter are working, evaluate how much debris is on the bottom, get the PH down to the 7.0-7.4 range, and order/purchase the appropriate supplies. Tell us how things progress and we can give you more detailed comments.

It would also be great if you could put your pool specs into your signature. That helps give context to your questions. For example you didn't mention if the pool was vinyl, fiberglass, plaster, or pebble.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion

It would also be great if you could put your pool specs into your signature. That helps give context to your questions. For example you didn't mention if the pool was vinyl, fiberglass, plaster, or pebble.

Welcome. Don't forget to mention the kind of filter, pump size and if there was a cover on it. (solid, mesh?)

By the sounds of it, atleast the pool is holding water.

Again, welcome to the forum.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

4. Back To Top    #4
    Welcome to TFP!

After reading the 'stickies' (linked in my signature) you will want to order a good test kit. We fondly refer to strips as "Guess Strips" as they are not much accurate than guessing. The kit linked in my signature is the best value, plus the builder of said kit (duraleigh) is a regular here, and can answer all your questions.

If you have a lot of debris in the bottom, you are going to want to get that out before you begin to shock, or it will simply use up all the chlorine before it can kill the algae.

Post back with more specifics on your pool, and we can assist you further!

You have come to the right place to get your pool clean and clear in a hurry, and maintain it with ease all season!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5
    thanks and i'm going to figure out or find out the specs and post it

thanks for the replies
    3ft shallow 9ft deepest
    vinyl liner
    pinnicle hpp 1HP pump
    1 skimmer
    test kit taylor k-2005
    Snow Hill, NC

6. Back To Top    #6
    Hey len1984, welcome to TFP!

Following the advice here, you will have your pool cleared in no time! Testing your own water and dosing your pool will be second nature soon! The best investment we made was the test kit. We like Dave's (duraleigh).

Many of us 'started' with a green swamp
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish
    Hey len1984, welcome to TFP!

Following the advice here, you will have your pool cleared in no time! Testing your own water and dosing your pool will be second nature soon! The best investment we made was the test kit. We like Dave's (duraleigh).

Many of us 'started' with a green swamp

NOT ME, i started with crystal clear blue water after i opened it when i bought the house last year, same thing this year, pools are easy. ok im just raggin yall.

welcome to TPF

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder

NOT ME, i started with crystal clear blue water after i opened it when i bought the house last year, same thing this year, pools are easy. ok im just raggin yall.

welcome to TPF
    Pools ARE easy, that's exactly the point! They ain't rocket science. You just need to learn a few basics and get a GOOD testkit!

9. Back To Top    #9
    hi, I put my specs in the signature line of my profile but I don't see anything. What did I do wrong?
    3ft shallow 9ft deepest
    vinyl liner
    pinnicle hpp 1HP pump
    1 skimmer
    test kit taylor k-2005
    Snow Hill, NC

10. Back To Top    #10
    ooops I see it now thanks

len1984